40: Capture the flag

"So, that's that. She's a Raven now." Carter says.

"Unbelievable. Did you talk to her?" Sophie asks as she walks over with Parker.

"No, my mom told me." Carter says to her.

"I don't know what's worse. Brooke leaving, or Brooke becoming a Raven." Daniel says.

"It doesn't make any sense." Kiara whispers to Elijah.

"God, this is all my fault." Carter says.

"No, I was...it's all my fault." Sophie says, nodding at us.

"No, no, guys, listen. Alright? We all messed up. We should have been more understanding. Look, let's just all go talk to her, okay?" Parker says.

"Yeah, maybe." Sophia says.

"No, guys. My mom specifically said we can't do that." Carter says and Daniel says.

"Well, hey. Guess that means I officially get to stay." I say, shrugging at them.

"Yeah, I guess so." Alex says to me, slightly grinning at me.

"Well, don't get too excited." I scoff, leaning back against the couch.

"Uh, I'm sorry. It's just...weird. I can't picture her in a Raven's uniform." Alex says, then kissing my cheek.

||

"Hey, guys. Needless to say, I am very happy to be back here and not staring at a cement wall, eating jello. For those of you who don't know the rules of capture the flag, each team has to hide their flag above ground. If you're captured on the other side, you have to sit on the penalty bench for five minutes before going back." Suzanne says.

"Wait, wait, wait. So, this isn't just another win for the sake of winning challenge, is it?" Parker asks her.

"Yes. But, I think the joy of winning will be the most evident while you're riding on this." Suzanne says, and shows us a picture of a cruise.

"Wow." Carter says as everyone starts to clap.

I swallow the lump in my throat as I let out a grin. Yeah, I'm still kinda afraid of going into the water. I don't wanna almost drown again.

"Alright, so here are you flags. You have five minutes to strategize. Let's go." Suzanne says as Sophie and Leo walk up, taking their own flag from her.

"Alright, so the Ravens are dying to win because of their losing streak." Sophie starts.

"Well, we don't wanna end their streak, dude." Parker says and we all laugh.

"True!" Sophie grins.

"Okay, so what's our strategy?" I ask Sophie.

"Get on that cruise in an hour." Alex tells me and I scoff him.

"They obviously can't outrun us. Well start by picking off the slowest ones." Sophie says.

"Max and Emma." Daniel says, snapping his fingers.

"Actually, Max and Emma are gonna be the ones guarding the flag because they can't run.We should be looking for it wherever they are." Carter says.

"Guys, guys, they're not gonna do that. They're not that predictable. I think we should-"

"Valerie, just trust us. We got this, alright?" Parker says, cutting me off.

"Yeah, totally. We got you." Sophie says, nodding at me.

"Alright, guys. That's enough strategizing. Let's begin." Suzanne announces.

||

"What're you waiting for, Ramirez? You're an Eagle now. You should be able to outrun me." Leo says to me.

"That's too easy. And besides, you're a Raven and I can still outsmart you." I say as I look to see Parker and Carter sitting on the bench.

I then walk away from Leo, walking toward Sophie instead.

"I'm telling you, Sophie, we need to try a different approach. Trying to outrun them isn't gonna work." I shake my head at her.

"What? No, look, don't worry. Look, I know you're new, but this is the Eagles' tried and true strategy, okay?" Sophie says, then turning away from me.

Then Alex ends up catching Leo and soon, few more Ravens sit by the bench.

"See, I told you. Now, watch them stack up." Sophie says to me.

I then see Carter gently grab Emma, making their flag fall.

"And she's been got!" Daniel exclaims.

"What am I supposed to do now? Man out side myself?" Brooke says to her team.

"C'mon, Eagles!" Sophie cheers on.

"This is ridiculous! No wonder why you guys lose every year!" Brooke says as we outrun her.

"C'mon, get back." Carter says and Brooke turns to him as he hops back and forth.

"You look hot. Want me to wipe your forehead for you?" Brooke smirks at him, raising her eyebrows as she holds ups out flag.

"What?" Carter says.

"No, no, no, no!" Parker says.

"The Ravens have won!" Suzanne says, blowing the whistle.

"Are you kidding me?" Sophie says.

"That's not fair! They must've buried it. We looked everywhere." Parker says as him, Alex and Daniel come running over.

"No, you didn't. You had the whole five minutes to find it, too." Leo tells him as he takes out his flag from under the bench.

"God!" Sophie exclaims.

"Dammit!" Carter shouts through gritted teeth.

"Ravens! Ravens! Ravens!" They all cheer and I cross my arms, shrugging.

To be honest, I'm happy the Ravens won. They needed a win.