20: Confidence and arrogance

"So much fun! It is much better than the dreary Atlantic." Aspen exclaims to me as she walks out of of the ocean.

"Yeah." I simply nod, leaning my head back against the chair.

"Valerie, so, um...about yesterday, I wanted to thank you for setting my head straight." She says.

"Everything's cool, Aspen." I grimace at her.

"I just lose it sometimes, when I get competitive. My mother says it's because I'm a natural born winner, and I have trouble accepting that others are not like me." She says.

"Whatever." I say, raising my eyebrows at her.

"I mean, if I were you, I'd be upset as well. All of the sudden, out of nowhere, someone like me shows up at the Greenhouse, all confident and-"

"There's a big difference confidence and arrogance." I cut her off.

"Look! There's Leo! Lee Lee, I'm coming!" Aspen says as she waves at Leo in the ocean.

||

"Valerie is going to play with us!" Hayley announces and everyone cheers.

"Whoo, go Val!" Jackie shouts and I chuckle as I jog over, giving Max a high-five for participating too.

"Didn't wanna miss your chance to kick Aspen's ass?" Jackie mutters to me.

"Yep." I smirk and she chuckles.

"You guys ready? Let's do this!" Leo exclaims and we all cheer.

Leo tosses the frisbee at me and I then toss it Kai who then gives it to Max.

"Max!" I exclaim, motioning that I'm open.

"Max! Throw it to me!" Aspen says, standing next to Jackie.

Becca then takes it from Max and throws it to Leo. He holds the frisbee up, signaling he won and I roll my eyes.

"Whoo!" His team cheers and Aspen jumps in his arms, kissing his cheek.

Hayley, Jackie and I gag as we get into position for the next round.

Leo throws it to Becca and she then throws it to Kai.

Kai then throws it to me and I look around, trying to decide who to throw it to.

"You know you look ridiculous, right?" I tell Leo and he blocks me, swishing back and forth.

"You gonna talk or you gonna throw?" He tells me.

I then shrug and swing to my left but I quickly retract and swing to the right, swiftly throwing the frisbee over Leo. Jackie catches it with ease and my team cheers.

"Whoo!" I squeal to Jackie, clapping my hands.

"Not bad, Val." Leo cheeses and I half grin, raising my eyebrows at him, then running off into position for the third round.

||

"Jackie!" I say, waving my arm at her but she decided to throw it to Max.

She ends up throwing it really high but Max successfully catches and fall onto the sand, making it to the winning line.

"Yes!" Jackie cheers as we all pile on top of him.

"Good job!" I smile at Max as he gets up from the sand.

"Nice touchdown, Miller." Leo says to him.

"That's a line I never thought I would ever hear." Max says, making Leo chuckle.

"Come on!" I exclaim, standing in front of Aspen.

Leo then aims the frisbee at me but before I can even catch it, I'm pushed away hard on the sand.

"Ah!" I growl as I fall.

"Yes!" Aspen cheeses, holding the frisbee up.

"What the hell?!" Jackie yells, getting in Aspen's face.

"Valerie, are you alright? Sorry, I didn't know my own strength." Aspen says, tucking some hair behind her ear as everyone rushes over to me.

Leo then looks at her and I clench my jaw.

"What? It's not like I did it in purpose!" Aspen exclaims.

"Ugh!" I exclaim, charging at her but Hayley, Max and Jackie hold me back.

"Hey, chill. It's okay." Hayley mutters to me and I pant as Leo looks at me.

"Okay, guys. Game's over. You won. We need to talk." Leo mutters the last part to Aspen, grabbing her arm

"Are you okay?" Max asks as him and Hayley help me walk over to my chair.

"I'm fine. I just need to rest and go for a calming swim." I tell them and they nod.

What a cunt.

  ||

"Everyone, let's get out of here!" I hear someone yell and I pick my head up from the water and I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"Huh?" I say, looking behind me and all of the sudden, I get sucked into a huge tidal wave.

"Help!" I scream as I try to keep my head above the water.

I'm then sucked underwater once again but I quickly pull back up.

"Help!" I scream again, my heart racing.

I'm not gonna die. I won't let this destroy me.