12: The satellite launch

"Wonder if they'll let us watch the launch from the control room." Leo says, clicking his tongue.

I simply shrug as I keep my arms crossed, staring at the floor.

"Yeah, probably not. Probably not." He sighs, putting his hands in his pockets.

I decide to sneak a quick look at him but I quickly retract my eyes away from him as he opens his mouth to speak again.

"So, we're gonna be stuck in a car with Jason for, like, an hour. I mean, I hate the smell of his aftershave, you know?" He says.

"Hey, pretty lady." A voice says and I turn my head.

"Hi." I mouth, grinning at Hayley.

"Thought you could use a snack for the trip." She says, handing a me huge Slim Jim.

"How'd you know?" I grin at her as she hands it to me.

"I see you eat them everyday in the cafeteria." She says and I chuckle as I hug her.

"Thank you." I say.

"Course." She says and I pull away from her.

"You guys are so lucky. I'd give anything to see the launch today." I hear Emma say and I turn my head to her.

"Carter refused to go. Want my ticket for free?" I say to Emma.

"Absolutely not. Valerie's NASA's guest of honor because of her mother." Jason says.

"I'm not a fucking charity case." I say, turning to him.

"Language." He says and I scoff as I turn back to Hayley.

"This is gonna be torture." I mutter to Hayley.

"You'll be fine." She says, patting my shoulder.

"C'mon. Car's outside." Jason says, already heading out.

"Pray for me." I tell Hayley and she scoffs as Leo opens the door for me.

I mutter a quick thanks as I walk to the car, opening the wrapper of the Slim Jim but making sure to only slide the wrapper down on half of it. I pop it into my mouth as I open the car door.

||

"Valerie!" Someone says and I look around the room to see who was calling my name.

"Hi." I say, shaking Eric's hand.

"Look at you, in your Greenhouse uniform. You look so much like your mother." He grimaces and I grin back as I pull away from his hand.

"Thank you." I nod at him.

"Hi. Leo Cruz." Leo says to the man, shaking his hand.

"Captain of the Ravens. Very impressive." He says to Leo.

"Jason Osmond, dean of the Greenhouse. Honor to meet you." Jason says and I mentally roll my eyes.

"You're Louis's kid." Eric says and then looks back at me.

"So, how is your dad doing?" He asks.

"He's good. Thank you for asking." I nod at him.

"Good." He grins back.

"So, since Valerie here is NASA's guest of honor, we were hoping for a little VIP tour around the facility." Jason says.

"Maybe another time. I think you can tell we're a little busy at the moment." Eric responds.

"Of course, of course." Jason says.

"Tell Michael I said hi, and Carter, too. In the meantime, make yourselves at home." Eric says to me and I nod at him.