16: Moving on

"It is brilliant. You organized such a cool do! Nobody in London does this anymore. Good job, Lee." The girl says to Leo in a thick accent.

"Actually, the Eagles put it together." He flatly responds, his face dropping.

"I'm Valerie. And you?" I say.

"Hi, I'm Aspen! So nice to meet." Aspen grimaces at me.

"Aspen and I pretty much grew up together. Uh, we've known each other since we were five, right?" Leo asks her.

"We're childhood sweethearts. My dad's a diplomat, and our family moved to LA when I was in kindergarten. And it was a nightmare at first, but then I met this guy. Do you know how many songs he's written for me?"Aspen chuckles and Leo looks down at the floor.

"No, how many?" I say, crossing my arms.

"Hundreds, maybe? Anyway, my lifelong dream was to study singing at the London Conservatory. So, we decided to have and LDR."

"LDR?" I state.

"Long distance relationship." She says, holding Leo's hand.

I slowly nod as I ignore Leo's stare on me.

"You know what's really ironic, is that it was me who suggested he apply to this school in the first place. Isn't that funny?" Aspen cheeses at him.

"Hilarious." I nod.

                                       ||

"So, she's Leo's girlfriend?" Carter asks me.

I shrug, raising my eyebrows at him as I couldn't help but let the tears fall from my eyes.

"Hey, stop it. He's not worth it." Carter says, rubbing my back.

"I just don't understand how he could've kept something like this from me." I say as I feel the breeze blowing over my dress.

"What don't you understand? He thought he could have you both." He says and I scoff, leaning back against the bench.

"Just when things were going perfectly...then she showed up. You should've seen the look on Leo's face when he saw that Aspen girl. It was like he saw a ghost." I say.

"What a prick. If you want, I could go beat him up for you." He says.

"Carter, no. You say he isn't worth it, but he is to me. We understood each other and I really thought we were taking it to the next level." I say, wiping my tears. 

"This is the second time he's led you on. All it takes is one punch." He says to me.

"You know what, I don't need this. I wanna go home." I say.

"Hey, you're not going anywhere, you hear me?" Cater says as he wraps an arm around me and I lean my head on his shoulder.

"Yeah." I sniffle as he rubs my shoulder.

"Is that Daniel's mom? Look, what is she doing over there?" Carter says and I pull away from him, following his gaze.

"Maybe she's after you." I joke.

"Oh, very funny." He half grins at me.

"You just happen to spend the whole night with his girlfriend." I say and he scoffs.

"Yeah." He admits and we both begin to laugh.

"Hey, go back. Have fun. I'm fine." I tell Carter.

"Come on." He says as he trills his lips.

He gets up from the bench and holds his hand out in front of me.