PACE TWELVE: Choosing What my Heart Feels

When Greg left at exactly 3:00 p.m., I decided to take a quick shower and took three cupcakes from the oven, putting it in a small plate.

“Where are you going, Winter?” Mom asked when she saw me at the kitchen. “Who is the lucky person who will recieve those cupcakes?”

“U-um, our neighbors, Mom... Mr. Arlon’s daughter is sick and I’d like to visit her again.”

I got a little confused when I saw Mom’s smile disappeared upon hearing that...

“Son,” she called me with some kind of worried or unhappy expression. “I’m not saying this to dictate you, for I know that you are now grown enough to make your own decisions... But, Winter, it wouldn’t be a good idea to get too close to that family. They maybe our acquaintances now, but I think they are still hiding a lot of secrets...”

My brows furrowed at that, “But aren’t we hiding a lot of secrets, too?”

“Y-yes, but... I just don’t want you to eventually get hurt, so it’s better to distance yourself to them.”

Mom, I think it’s too late for that now... Amethyst has a special space in my heart, already...

“Will you give me a reason, Mom...?” I mumbled.

She took a deep breath and hold onto my left shoulder, “J-just take that as a piece of advice, son. All I want is to protect you from any harm that family might cause you.” she seems on the verge of tears, but she’s forcing herself not to cry and soon, left me there standing alone.

I remained there motionless for several seconds; just staring at the cupcakes on the small plate...

There may be a big reason for her to say those words, but why can’t she tell me...?

Why do I need to distance myself to Amethyst---of all people?

Her smile pops up into my head almost every minute...

I always want to see her and be by her side...

Mom, why?!

Why does it have be now when I already realized I fell in love with her...?

I bit my lower lip to control my emotions...

I love you, Mom, and I want to bethink what you said, but if you can’t tell me even one reason to obey you... then...

As my grip on the plate tightens, I had made my decision...

Taking in a deep breath, I stepped forward towards the front door, even when I felt like my feet were slightly heavy with every step that I made.

With a nervous heart, I rang the doorbell of Amethyst’s house a few times.

After several seconds, Riexel opened the gate for me.

“Oh, hi, big bro!” she greeted me with a wide smile on her face. “Here to visit my big sis? Come on in!”

Mom’s words were still echoing in my mind, but... by this point in my life, I can’t bear not seeing Amethyst... specially when I knew she’s still sick.