thirty-six

This chapter is a doozy... maybe get the tissue boxes out... maybe get a punching bag out... you never know

We finally made it to Seth's place in Iowa, and we both seemed more at ease when we were finally together again and not in separate cars.

"So," he said as he carried some of my luggage into his house, "I forgot to ask about what Randy said to you?" he asked curiously.

I shrugged. "Just the usual 'come back to me' crap. I don't buy it."

He blinked away some insecurity hinted in his eyes. "Oh, yeah," he replied, "I wouldn't either."

We sat there in silence for a bit in his kitchen, the sound of coffee brewing filling the room until he spoke again. "Would you date him again?" He asked, surprising me.

I didn't even need to think to answer that question. "Absolutely not," I laughed, "he broke my heart so bad, I'm surprised I still have one."

No response.

I wondered if my answer to his question hurt him in some way. Seth seemed uneasy. "What about you?" I asked him, "Would you date any of your exes again?"

He shook his head. "I wanted them, but they were never a good fit for me."

I nodded in understanding. "And what do you think is a good fit for you?" I asked him. He looked at me straight in the eye, causing me to blush a little. I forced myself not to get too giddy at what his potential answer could be. He opened his mouth to say something, but the buzzing of my phone interrupted us. The conversation we were finally going to have, taken away.

"I'll let you get that," he says before taking my luggage up to my room. I sigh before opening my phone.

Charlotte;
Whatcha doinnn

I raised an eyebrow at the strange text. Why would she care what I would be doing? I guess I did leave her house unannounced, but she didn't seem to notice. What if Randy told Vince something about what happened at the hotel? What if he gives us more time off? I know that Seth and I both wouldn't want that.

Becky;
Hanging at Seth's

I was surprised to see it being read right away, text bubbles floating as I await her response.

Charlotte;
Are you guys official? You look cute together.

I couldn't help but smile at her text. The thought of the unknown number texting me popped into my head. I debated on telling Charlotte about it. I didn't think she would know anything about it, but it was weird enough for me to start telling people.

Becky;
I don't know.I keep getting weird texts saying not to trust himThey're from an unknown sender

I sent the three texts fast, not wanting to answer a ton of questions from her. I noticed her quick typing once again.

Charlotte;
Oh gosh, you need to tell him

I heard Seth's footsteps coming back down the stairs, and I decided to end the conversation with Charlotte. I quickly sent a text and locked my phone.

Becky;
Maybe

Silence fell over Seth and I as he drank his cup of coffee. I could still sense uneasiness and I could still see insecurity in his eyes. I wasn't sure if I made him feel that way, or Randy. But I wanted to continue our conversation from earlier. I wanted to reassure him.

"Seth," I said, "I care about you a lot."

He gave me a confused glance. "I-I like you a lot," I said hesitantly.