forty-three

I was able to lead Seth back to my locker room with his hand still gripping my wrist. His eyes remained on Dean as we walked away. Thankfully, no one was in the locker room. We stepped in and I locked the door. I reached down with my other hand to open up Seth's tight grasp on my wrist with my fingers. My eyes didn't leave his as I managed to free my wrist, but I held onto his hand.

"Are you okay?" I asked him quietly, trying to understand the look in his eyes. I had no idea what he was thinking.

"Why didn't you let me hit him?" He asked instead, his voice low, making it clear how upset he was.

"I didn't want you getting in trouble with Vince again," I told him.

"You're right," he said, an exhausted look taking over him. "Can we talk about this?"

I nodded. "I'm sorry about Dean planting the drugs, and the texts, and-"

"What texts?"

I looked up at him, realizing he was only listening in to our conversation when it was about the drugs, but not the texts.

"Charlotte and Dean have been sending me anonymous texts, apparently," I explained. He nodded and cleared his throat. "Can I see them?" He asked me, making my heart drop a little. For some reason, I didn't want to show him. I knew that he was already angry, and I didn't want to open up another wound. Especially after receiving the murder text.

"They're just silly texts," I replied.

He had no intention of ignoring them. "Please," he said surprisingly gently.

I sighed, knowing I couldn't say no to him. I pulled out my phone, went onto the messages, and handed Seth the phone. He took it, and for seconds there was silence. I quietly kept my stare on his eyes, hoping he would say something once I noticed he stopped scrolling, and was staring at the last text. He let out a deep breath before my phone suddenly slipped out of his fingers, hitting the floor.

Completely ignoring it, I embraced him. "Are you okay?" I asked gently.

He harshly pushed me away the second I touched him, his back hitting the wall behind him. "Don't," he hissed quietly. I backed away from him slowly until I looked closer into his widened eyes. Tears were welling up before falling down his cheeks as his breathing came out quickly.

I wasn't expecting this response. I had seen Seth insecure before. I had seen him very, very angry. I had seen him sad or disappointed. But I had never seen a tear. He suddenly crumbled down on his knees, the silent room being filled with his quiet, heartwrenching sobs. Considering how he reacted the first time, all I felt I could do was put my hand on top of his.

"Seth," I said, not knowing why, but maybe just to let him know that I was here, and I wasn't going to leave him this time.

He covered his face with his free hand, shielding himself away from me, but he gripped my other hand. I scooted closer to him, and before I knew it, he fell into my arms. I held him tightly as he cried into the crook of my neck. His back was heating up each time his chest would rise and fall.

"I'm sorry, Becky," he wept softly, quietly, "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," I replied, letting my hand run up and down his back, hoping to soothe him in some way. I wished there was more for me to say, but I felt that nothing else would help him. He pulled away from our embrace and took a few deep breaths in the silence.

I sat up and found a bottle of water close by, handing it to him before sitting next to him again. I gently squeezed his shoulder as he took a few sips.

"I didn't murder him," he said all of a sudden, catching my attention, "I found him dead."

I didn't want to ask too much of him, so I let him say what he needed, without asking any questions.

"I told you about my Dad," he said, and I nodded, "how screwed up our relationship is." His voice cracked every time he began to speak. "If I drink too much I start to act like him. I'll get drunk, I'll let girls hang all over me, you've seen that."

I nodded again, knowing he wasn't looking at me, but felt it was right.

"Well, he really got to my brother with al of that. He abused him for not being as talented as me. I never understood, but my brother got really depressed. One day when I got home from Wrestlemania after cashing in my Money in the Bank, I found him dead in my home. I called Dean first, and he brought some others to help me out. He just called the people I betrayed by my actions, like Ziggler."

I suddenly remembered how he slept with Nikki Bella when Dolph when they were together.

"Dolph told everyone I murdered him a few years ago. I talked to Vince about it, so he knows the truth, but that's why my friend group is so small. And that's why I acted so rude when we first met. I can't trust anyone."

Without thinking twice, I pulled him into a hug, hoping he knew I was there for him. Everything made sense now. Randy telling me to stay away from Seth, Dolph telling me, and Charlotte telling me. It all started to sound like middle school drama on their part.

He gently pulled away, clearing his throat. "I can't believe Dean would send you that," he muttered, "I never would have thought he would bring that back. He knew the truth."

What a jerk.

"I'm sorry for how I reacted just now," he whispered. He sniffled and wiped away the last of his tears with his thumb.

"You don't need to be sorry," I said gently.

I wanted to stay with him tonight, but I remembered telling Randy we could be partners. As if this day wasn't already crazy, I really needed to tend to that mess next.