The Castle

And the story begins..

Your POV

It's the next morning... and we're already at the castle. Zen should be here today or tomorrow I kind of hope it's today though.. Tomorrow will be the funeral and ball. If all goes right with Prince Izona's plan than I should expect something to go wrong for Prince Dominic.

"I-I cant" I stuttered while trying my hardest not to look out the window. We're about to stop and I feel mortified..
"As you said before, nothing will happen till the ball tomorrow" kiki reassured me.
"I dont know if that's true! This could all be a set up and hes trying to-" I began to vent my worries.. till we came to a stop and Obi opened the door.
"Y/n, you have to calm down, hes here.." Obi whispered to me as he helped kiki out of the carriage.
"Okay.. I feel sick.. Do i have permission to stab him if something happens?" I asked only half jokingly.
"No but do it anyway.." he whispered back and helped me out. There prince Dominic stood at the top of the spotless, white, stair case with a smile. I have honestly never felt more scared in my life.
I ran away from here and he invited me back but I'm only being used as a pawn for Prince Izona.. I'm so screwed...
"Stand up to him.." kiki whispered to me as the two of us began walking with Obi close behind. Of course I had to wear a dress again but I still have my swords tightly wrapped around my waist.. Obi is here and kiki has her sword as well.. I should stop worrying.
"Y/n, it's been a while!" Prince Dominic shouted happily and walked down the steps to meet us half way. I've never been addressed by any name from him so this is.. Absolutely horrifying...
"It's good to see you again, Prince Dominic." I told him without any emotions in my tone or facial expression. As long as I am near this man I will be strong and held together. I refuse to break down!
"Obi" Dominic nodded to him with a smile.
"Thank you for having us, your highness" kiki spoke like she normally would.
"Of course" Dominic nodded before turning back and walking up the staircase with the three of us following. "Tomorrow the funeral will be held at noon and later that night the ball in your family's memory will be held." he told us as we walked the remaining steps and into the castle. All eyes seemed to be on us. Everyone knew what happened, word spreads fast in the castle, and from the shadows I can hear them asking why I'm here or why I came back. "Since you're already familiar with the castle grounds you're free to roam on your own and show your friends around." He told me and held up that same stupid act I always remembered. He pretends that nothing ever happens. Hes pretending that he didn't murder the only people I ever had in my life.
"Thank you, sir. Is there somewhere I should avoid during my stay?" I asked and kept my eyes pointed in front of me. Of course he'll say no but if there is a place he says I cant travel to...
"As of now, we are preparing for the funeral in the royal cemetery" wait, did he say royal?
"Royal? They wont be placed with the soilders?" I asked and felt confused.
"A family such as yours deserves more praise than that for helping this kingdom flourish. The Moon clan only has you now and the last will never be forgotten" he told me and sounded proud. I'm sure he is proud though. We shouldnt be praised, we should have been banished..
"If you wouldnt mind, we'd like to go visit that area before the ceremony begins, sir" kiki spoke up. She understands what im getting on with as well.
"Of course, you're all free to roam wherever you please. I must leave you for now because there is still much work to be done. I hope you enjoy your stay" he told us with a smile and stopped next to a large door, his office.
"Thank you.." I muttered and gave a short bow before i led the three of us somewhere far from there.
"Y/n, has he called you by your name before?.." Obi whispered to me.
"I've never been addressed like that.." I muttered and tried to keep up my act in front of the servants who were walking the halls.
"Is there a specific place youd like to go?" Kiki asked me as I led us back outside.
"Personally, I think I want to wait for Zen and his brother to get here.." I sighed and lowered my head as more stress than I could handle engulfed my mind.
"Hey, how about we go to the stream?" Obi suggested and looked up after we got outside somewhere near the garden.
"Or we could go see the royal cemetery.." kiki suggested and looked over at Obi and I.
"Do you think they put the bodies in yet?" Obi asked casually as we walked there next.
"That sounds horrible obi" I sighed but couldnt help to laugh.
"I-I didnt mean it in a rude way I was just wondering that maybe if not everyone was there then maybe.." he stuttered out in the beginning while trying to explain himself.
"I know what you're saying obi, I was wondering the same thing actually.. But.. Dont you think after a few weeks that their bodies would...." I trailed off and suddenly felt uncomfortable thinking about how it could look.
"Right.." Obi sighed and slapped his hand over his face.
"We can go anyway. We still have time to waste until Zen arrives" kiki smiled.
"Yeah.." I nodded and held a little smile on as well. It took a while but we finally found it. It certainly was made for royals, its huge and grand and so glorious. There were 4 opened graves and I guess I never talked about my grandfather's too much so..
"I forgot about these guys.." obi sighed and stood between both my grandfather's caskets.
"They missed you too, Obi" I chuckled quietly and noticed how tightly they were all were latched.
"This must be hard for you.." Kiki put her hand on my shoulder and looked at the glistening white caskets.
"A little.. But I'm glad you two are here with me." I told them with a smile and read over the names carved into the four headstones.
"You know, I cant help but feel like one of these are empty" obi muttered and looked down the line.
"None of them went without a fight so I'm sure you're right Obi" I laughed a little and placed my hand over dads coffin. "If anything happens tomorrow itll be good." I told them and turned my resting hand into a fist.
"I think you're right, especially with Prince Izona being here.." kiki smiled and looked to me.
"I forgot about him.." I sighed and let my hand slide off and back to my side. "I think we all know what Prince Izona would like to accomplish which is one of the only reasons I agreed to come" I sighed but kept a smile on. Prince Izona has intentions to better Clarines and having someone else rule Alfin would help greatly.
"Do you want to see your house? I know it might not be a pretty sight but we could go find things you weren't able to take with you before you-" Obi asked but was cut off towards the end by a girl shouting.
"Miss Moon!" The girl shouted and sounded frantic. As she got closer I realized she wasn't just some girl, this is Princess Ari.
"Princess Ari, it's nice to see you again.." I muttered and bowed to her along with Obi and Kiki.
"No, please stop!" She begged and pulled me back up by my shoulders. "Please come with me you three, it's not safe to talk here.." she whispered and tried to act normal. She's right, we've all been watched since the moment we enter the castle grounds.
"Is everything alright, princess?" Obi asked after seeing the troubled expression on her face.
"Please refrain from talking for just a minute longer.." she whispered to us and quietly led us back into the castle and into a large room with many big windows and no one else around. The three of us followed her in wonder until we stopped in the room. She shut the door and locked it then went and shut all the curtains..
"Princess Ari, is there a reason to lock us in here?.." I asked her hesitantly and wondered if I needed to prepare for a fight.
"Just to talk.." she sighed and looked.. scared.
"Princess, please take a seat, you look a little pail" kiki told her kindly and helped her to one of the couches in the middle of the room.
"I'm so sorry, miss Moon. I-I know everything" she stuttered and looked so sad.
"Oh.. Is there something you needed to tell me then?" I asked and took a seat on the other couch while kiki and Obi stood behind me.
"I saw everything that happened the day you left. I-I saw you run into the woods and the soilders flood your house-" she stuttered out of fear. "I-I wasnt supposed to see. I knew that all these years my bother did horrible things and I knew how he-.." he shocked on her words and burst out into tears. "H-He not only murdered your family but ours as well.." she cried. That came as a shock to Obi and kiki but I've known.
"I know, your highness.. as soon as it happened and he took power we were told.." I told her and lowered my head a little. She cried a little harder after hearing that.
"You shouldnt have came back. He's planning something- something horrible!.." she cried.
"That's not alarming.." obi muttered sarcastically.
"Do you know what it could be, princess?" Kiki asked while the princess tried to dry her tears.
"No, I have no idea what hes planning. Other royals will be here so I cant imagine that he would make a scene.." she answered and seemed to be telling the truth.
"You dont have to worry princess" I told her with a smile, "before now we've never talked but I trust in your words. During the ball you should stay on your toes and maybe away from me" I laughed and scratched the back of my neck.
"But if I'm with you then maybe-" she tried to protest but Obi stepped in.
"She will be protected at all times and it isnt like she couldnt defend herself before now anyway" obi chuckled and looked over to me.
"Those swords she's wearing is proof." Kiki added with a smile.
"May I see them..?" The princess asked and looked at them as they awkwardly stay by my sides.
"Of course, Princess" I nodded and stood up. I unsheathed the both of them and set them down on the counter top. "The black one was her father's. I remember he used to threaten me with that thing when we were kids" obi laughed to me while him, the princess, and kiki all took a closer look at it.
"I just dont think he liked your influence on me" I laughed to myself.
"These are perfectly crafted, do you have one of your own too?" Kiki asked me.
"Oh, I did but I didnt take it with me. Honestly I was just using one my father made me. The one I made was absolutely horrible. I've been working at it, in fact I had one I was working on but well, I didnt get to finish it" I laughed awkwardly and looked over to the shut curtains wondering when Zen would be here. If he came soon than we could go to see my house together like he said..
"I wish I had a sword.." the princess sighed. "I've been learning how to wield one since i was little but i dont have one. If you ever had the chance, would you make me one?" The princess asked me and seemed more than happy.
"Wh-What?" I asked in shock, "I would love to!" I exclaimed and immediately felt so happy. She wants me to make her a sword.. I feel honored.. and a bit flabbergasted.
"Would you make me one too, Y/n?.." obi asked with his lip poked out.
"I'm sure if Zen heard about this, he'd ask the same question" kiki told me with a little smile.
"Prince Zen of Wisteria? I heard he was going to be here for the ceremony but I didnt think- You came from Clarines! Oh, I'm so sorry I forgot!" The princess exclaimed.
"Oh, that's alright" I told her with a smile. "Can you hold these for me?" I asked her and handed her my swords.
"I-I dont-" she stuttered as she held onto the handles. She couldnt really lift the one father left me but she could hold up mothers without a problem.
"Okay, I can take them back" I laughed a little and put them back in their sheaths. "I promise i will make you a sword but I cant promise when you'll receive it" I told her with a smile.
"You're amazing" she sighed happily and seemed happier than before. That was something I've never really heard before so I kind of took it to heart.
Suddenly there was a knock on the door. The princess told us to stay on the couches while she checked the door.
I pulled the pocket watch Zen gave me earlier from my pocket and let it hang around my neck so I wouldnt lose it if I happened to take off my belt. I wonder when I'll see him again..
"Obi, kiki, Y/n!" Mitsuhide's voice suddenly rang from the door. My eyes widened in surprise and happiness filled my body.
"Mitsuhide, did everyone already make it here?" I asked with a smile as I walked over to the door with kiki and Obi.
"Well, just Zen and I. Prince Izona wont be here till tomorrow. Right now, Zen is talking with Prince Dominic in his office" Mitsuhide told us.
"Uh oh.." obi muttered and looked at me.
"Is anyone with him?" Kiki asked and looked more worried than the rest of us.
"My brother is too smart to let something happen to anyone before the main events.." Princess Ari muttered and looked down.
"Do you know what they were talking about?" I asked Mitsuhide worriedly as the five of us left that room and walked down the halls.
"Nothing good.. I dont think Zen can hold his tongue for very long" Mitsuhide sighed and shook his head with a smile.
"They know too?" The princess asked me as the two of us walked in front of our little group, leading the way.
"They know just about everything about me" I laughed a little and held onto the watch around my neck. "I met prince Zen the day after I left and since then I've been working at the castle in Clarines as his royal sentinel" I told her.
"Really? I believe you deserve a much bigger title than that!" She exclaimed. Shes a year or two older than I am so she knows what shes talking about but shes always been hidden because of her brother..
"Do you think so?" Mitsuhide asked with a chuckle following.
"If you know about just what my brother put her family through you'd believe me. She should have noble status, maybe more!" She told us.
"Noble status? That's very kind but I'm not so sure about that.." I laughed awkwardly.
"If I were queen I'd make sure it was true" she told me as we walked.
"That's very kind of you, highness but I'm alright. I prefer my job now anyway" I told her happily. It's the truth, I wouldn't trade becoming a noble over working at the castle.
"Y/n, you do know you can be a noble and still work for Zen, right?" Mitsuhide chuckled.
"You're a noble?!" Obi asked in shock.
"No but kiki is" he sighed and pointed to kiki.
"That's true but it doesnt mean anything" she shrugged.
"Y/n, becoming a noble might make life a little easier for you.." obi whispered and stood by my side.
"What would be easier? I already have a job and you guys" I asked but on the inside I knew exactly what he was talking about. If I were a noble than maybe Zen's brother and other people wouldnt look at Zen wrongly..
"Y/n, look out!-" Mitsuhide shouted just as I walked into someone.. I could of used a faster heads up..
"I-Im so sorry!" I stuttered in a slight panic and was about to get up before a hand was pushed into my sights.
"It happens" the person chuckled. Zen! Relief filled my body as he helped me back up.
"How was that meeting with Prince Dominic?" Mitsuhide asked while I dusted myself off.
"It was alright, no need to be worried" zen told us happily. I still was holding onto the pocket watch he let me borrow the whole time and felt so happy he was here now.
"Princess Ari was just telling us about how much she wished Y/n to be a noble, isnt that nice" Obi grinned to Zen.
"Of course! Dont you agree, Zen?" The princess chimed in as we began our walk again.
"I dont know if she'd like living the noble life too much" Zen chuckled and looked over at me. For some reason I was stuck in the middle between the two royals while the others stayed behind listening.
"Uh, I-I dont know.." I stuttered and had to think about it. I've never thought about how nobles live before and I certainly never thought about being one. It wouldnt be too bad if I still had my friends around though. Kiki seems to be alright but shes definitely more well mannered than me.. I dont think I could fit the description.
"I think she would be fine." Kiki spoke up and smiled at me.
"Maybe.." I muttered and finally noticed I had been holding onto the pocket watch Zen gave me a little too tightly.
"You still have it" zen smiled and looked at the watch in my hand.
"She never let it go, master!" Obi shouted out. My face immediately flushed red with embarrassment and I couldnt help but get a little mad at Obi for telling him that.
"I suppose I should give it back now" I muttered and tried not to act too embarrassed.
"Not yet" he chuckled and held my ribbon in his head. "After this trip is over, remember?" He smiled. I couldnt help but to feel a little flustered. This whole week all I've done was think about him and wondering if he would get here alright or if him and the others might get hurt so.. I guess seeing him again felt no less than amzing.
"I do.." I smiled to myself as i let the watch around my neck fall under my dress. "Is there somewhere you wanted to take us princess?" I asked her and noticed how odd it was that we were walking outside again.
"Well I thought that you might want to visit your home again." She told me with a smile. My eyes widened a little. "After you left I had some help cleaning it up.. It took a while but we got things back to what looked like normal" she told me as my house came into view. I was speechless as I stared at it. Memories of what happened flooded back to me and it made me feel scared and I wished with everything I had within me that I'd walk in and find my family sitting around like usual.
"Y/n.." Obi muttered my name out of the silence.
"Yes?" I asked and snapped out of my daze.
"Are you sure you feel well enough for this?" Mitsuhide asked me as I walked slowly towards my old home.
"O-Oh, yes, I'm alright" I smiled and let my hand reach back to the pocket watch hidden behind the fabric of my dress. I pressed my hand against it for some sort of comfort as we reached the door.
"We'll stay out here for a minute so you can see first" kiki told me with a smile. I stopped and looked back at everyone who stopped before I did at the front steps.
"Oh.." I whispered and looked at Zen before lowering my eyes back to the steps in front of me.
"If you'd like, I'll still go in with you. I made you that promise to you" Zen spoke up through the silence.
"I remember.." I smiled and thought about both times hes told me that but I thought it wouldnt actually happen.
I looked back to the front door with a heavy heart and let my hand slowly turn the round door knob. The first thing I saw was the living room arranged just as it was before but the couches were covered in some sort of clear cover and underneath it, the cushions were stained red..
I sighed quietly to myself as I walked in and let a smile rise across my face. "It didnt change at all.." I told Zen and began to walk through.
"These pictures.." Zen muttered and picked up a picture frame that had small bits of blood between the cracks.
"Yeah, they're all pretty old. Some of them are from past missions" I laughed a little and walked in the kitchen. It's just the same here too.
"Whoa, you had one crazy birthday party" he chuckled and showed me the one picture I wish he never saw.
"That's embarrassing.." I muttered and quickly walked away up the stairs. It was my last birthday and it showed me with my face smashed into the cake.
"I think it's cute" he laughed and followed behind me.
"Yeah, I'm sure" I said sarcastically and rolled my eyes at him as I walked up the last step and over to my room.
The stairs had bits of blood mixed into the old cracks and as Zen walked up them, they frequently squeaked but they've always done that. "Seriously? Who died on my bed and got it taken away?" I groaned looking at the empty frame.
"I hope that was a joke" zen laughed a little and stood at the doorframe.
"Not really" I grinned to myself and looked over at him. He sighed and smiled at my sarcasm.
"Do you have anything you want to take with you?" He asked me as I dug in my old drawers.
"..Yes! It's still here!" I shouted and pulled out the sword I had been secretly making. "Its not finished but this is my 3rd try at making this specific one and I think I'm getting there!" I shouted happily and held it out. It looks like a real piece of junk now but later when its finished itll look better than the ones my father could make!
"It sure looks like it. I've never made a sword but I'd love to see the process" he told me as I handed the unfinished sword to him and went digging in my closet.
"Of course! Princess Ari asked me to make one for her. I dont think I've ever been more nervous about making a sword in my life but now I guess I have to step it up if itll be good enough for royalty" I laughed nervously and put a few of my old clothes in my bag. I grabbed a pair of dress shoes that were more comfortable than the heels I was wearing now and put those on then left the other shoes in the bag. I also grabbed some of my old pictures, and finally another hair ribbon.
"Y/n! Can I come in now!" Obi shouted from down stairs and was already inside.
"I never said you couldnt!" I shouted back to him and already knew he was walking up the stairs.
"Wow master, already in her room this early in the day?" Obi grinned at the doorway.
"Obi!" I shouted and tossed a broken arrow at him. That arrow head was actually his from when we were kids, I've always held onto it after he left.
"Whoa! Oh- hey, you kept this?" Obi asked as him and Zen looked at it.
"Was that yours?" Zen asked as Obi tossed the arrow head back to me.
"After prince Dominic moved him to the mountains, this was the only thing I had left to remember Obi" I laughed a little and put the arrow in a small pocket in this bag. I zipped it up and finally decided that this was good enough from my old stuff. I didnt pack the bag with many things, just some old favorite stuff.
"Hey, do you still have that old sword your dad messed up?" Obi asked and wondered off.
"Whoa! Look at these pictures!" I heard Mitsuhide shout from downstairs. I tried to push away the blush showing on my face from them seeing all those embarrassing pictures but it still showed clear as day.
"Dont mind them" Zen chuckled and walked by my side to where Obi walked off to.
"I'd like to see embarrassing pictures of them.." I mumbled and looked away from him.
"I FOUND IT!" Obi suddenly screamed and came running out with the banged up sword above his head.
"Obi! Stop running with a sword!" Zen shouted through a laugh.
"Do you even know how much history this sword has seen, master?" Obi asked him and had a serious look on his face as he held the sword like it was a magic item.
"Obi, what are you yelling about?" Kiki asked as she walked up the stairs with the princess and Mitsuhide.
"Only the greatest artifact of all time!" Obi shouted as he pushed through Zen and I holding the sword above his head. I couldnt help but laugh at how happy he got over it. He was always like this when it came to my old family stuff.
"Tell me why Obi is so excited" Zen chuckled as everyone walked back down stairs.
"That sword was my great, great.." I had to count on my fingers, "great, great, great grandmother's" I told him and tried to think if that was enough greats.
"Wait, really?" Zen stopped and looked a little stunned.
"Yeah, both my grandfathers always told Obi about the stories they heard about her and now Obi worships the sword" I laughed and walked back into the living room then to a door that looked like a closet.
"Look! Look at Y/n, everyone!" Obi suddenly shouted.
"Obi! Stop trying to give everything away!" I shouted back at him with a small glare.
"I dont get it.." Mitsuhide mumbled through the silence. I sighed and opened the door leading to the basement. It was by far the greatest part about this house.
"Is that where you made your swords?" Kiki asked as I took the first steps down the stairs.
"Only our secret ones" I laughed a little and finally found all our older, more magnificent works of art. This room holds every sword from every generation of the Moon family. Well- not all of them. Some were lost but most are here.
"We never saw this.." princess Ari muttered in amazement.
"Good, that means nothing was taken from here then" I smiled to myself and set down my bag next to the staircase. This basement is two times the size of the house upstairs and was where my family spent most of their time.
"The couch!" Obi shouted and laid down on the old couch in the corner.
"This must be like nostalgia for you Obi" Mitsuhide laughed.
"This is amazing.." Zen told me as he stood next to me where I looked at the wall of swords.
"Y/n, I promise this place will always be safe with me" princess Ari told me with a trustworthy smile.
"Dont let anyone but us inside this house for me please and if Prince Dominic ever decides that he doesnt want this place here anymore, make sure you grab a few of these" I laughed and joked around.
"I'll never let that happen! I promise you this place will never be torn down for as long as I stay here!" She exclaimed and made everyone in the room go silent.
"Thank you" I smiled and felt happier knowing this would always be here in the end.
"When should we go back before someone gets suspicious?" Mitsuhide asked and looked down at Obi who seemed to be more than zoned out but overly happy while he laid on the entire couch hugging that old sword.
"We can go back now. Itll still be here when we come back anyway" I told them with a smile and went to pick up my bag but Zen got to it before I did and handed it to me.
"Obi, come on soilder" kiki smiled down at Obi and tapped his forehead with her finger.
"Hm? Y/n, can I please take this with us?" Obi begged.
"Only if you dont loose it" i told him and picked up the belt my dad used to wear. It's old but I'm sure Obi should remember. "Keep it in this" I told him and tossed the belt with a sheathe on it.
"Oh my gosh.." obi whispered in shock. I swear you can see the stars in his eyes.
"I think you just made his day, Y/n" the princess told me with a short laughed.
"Maybe his whole life" zen added and seemed weirded out by how happy Obi is.
"I cant believe this.. Are you really letting me keep this?" He asked me in shock.
"Definitely not. My parents would kill me from the afterlife if they knew I gave that away even if it was to you" I told him with a grin. I know one day I'll give it to him. We grew up like family and that sword only runs in the family.
"Obi, are you by chance related to Miss Moon?" The princess asked as all of us walked out of my old home and I shut the door.
"No but we grew up like brother and sister here!" He exclaimed and wrapped an arm around me.
"Get off me-" I laughed and shoved him a little.
"Its true! That's probably the only reason she'll let me keep this" he grinned and knew that I'd let him have it in the end too.
"You two do act like siblings" zen told me with a chuckle as all of us walked back to the castle.
"Well that's what happens when theres only one other kid your age in that line of work" I told him with a little sigh and remembered some of the things Obi and I did together as kids. Our families never kept us apart, we were best friends and I guess that never left us.
"I'm glad you had someone around even if it was Obi" Zen told me with a smile and looked back at Obi who was already proudly wearing both swords, his work one and the one I'm letting him keep.
"Me too. I probably would have become a bland fighting machine if i didnt have him around." I smiled before Obi turned to me with a grin.
"Whay do you mean 'probably'?" Obi asked while smirking.
"Be quiet, Obi.." I sighed as the others laughed around us.
"You're definitely not bland nor are you a fighting machine but you certainly can kick butt" Zen told me with a proud smile.
"Thanks.." I smiled to myself and felt happy because of that. I feel like a bland fighting machine sometimes but when I'm with Zen I dont. I feel like any other normal girl with him..

The rest of the day was spent with the princess and my friends. We didnt see Prince Dominic at all and I was thankful for that. But during the night..

--------

Cliff hanger, sorry 🙃