The Mountains

Your POV

I woke up to the soft sound of voices around me. The sun was absolutely blinding and I was starting to feel just how warm it had gotten. I peeked my eyes open and first saw.. Obi. Right in my face.
"Had a good rest, princess?" He smirked with his hands on his hips as i sat up and rubbed my eye.
"Zen?.." i muttered in confusion and turned my head to see him looking a bit flustered. Why is everyone here? How long have zen and i been alseep together?
"Morning sleepy head" dad chuckled from behind my bench.
"Why is everyone here?.." i asked in quiet confusion as i turned a little further to see them.
"Well after everyone woke up we realized you and zen were still missing" shirayuki began explaining.
"But we saw you up here so obi and your dad decided it was a good idea to scare the two of you" Mitsuhide chuckled.
"You both looked quite cozy though" kiki said with a little grin as i met Zen's gaze. So what if we were a little close..
"So?.." i mutteted sounding a bit annoyed as I stood up and stretched my arms.
"You kids talk for a while, im goin back down to talk with the ladies" dad said with a grin as he waved and walked away. I narrowed my eyes and felt completely taken back by that. Has dad been flirting with women after mom passed? I suppose it's a good thing but for some reason it feels wrong to me.
"Pfffft-!" Obi burst out laughing before trying to cover his mouth.
"I think he was just kidding again.." zen told me but looked just as confused as I did.
"Yeah, im not so sure.." i muttered feeling a little grossed out.
"We brought lunch since you two were taking your sweet time up here" Mitsuhide teased as shirayuki unfolded this big quilt.
"Let me help you" obi chuckled and took the other end then helped lay out the blanket.
"Hungry?.." i muttered to myself in confusion with the tilt of my head. I could eat but I did just wake up.. Do i look like a pig to them?
"Its nothing big so don't get too excited" kiki told me as she took my hand and sat down with me.
"O-Oh, im not actually-.. well.. im a little hungry.." i muttered mostly to myself but zen heard it and thought it was funny. Im sitting between kiki and shirayuki and the guys are spread out between them.
"So Y/n, is royal life actually as bad as zen makes it seem?" Shirayuki asked with a giggle.
"I do not!" Zen protested while I thought.
"Well, it is a lot of work. I've become more aware of the people who will be affected by my future decisions. I think ive helped make some sort of change in tanbarun though" i shrugged with a little smile as shirayuki handed me a cup of fresh lemonade.
"Id say, you even lowered their taxes by a whole dollar" obi chuckled proud of me.
"Whoa, really?" Mitsuhide asked in shock. A dollar doesn't seem like much but it certainly adds up over time.
"Yeah, I guess i did. Me and Raji had been thinking about how to better the kingdom and that was our first thought" i said with a little smile as i looked around at everyone.
"Things in tanbarun were a little pricey at times.." shirayuki admitted and sighed.
"Was that the biggest issue you had while living here?" I asked and was genuinely curious about how to keep bettering my kingdom.
"Well, the boarder fee for leaving is high too.." shirayuki muttered in thought. My eyes widened when I heard that. Theres a price to pay when you leave? How come I never knew?
"Y/n, did you not know about that?.." Mitsuhide asked in confusion.
"..You have to pay to come in and out?" I asked in genuine confusion.
"Its like that in every kingdom too" zen sighed as i set my drink down.
"Thats ridiculous!" I shouted in surprise. "No one should have to pay more when they travel! I had no idea that was a thing!" I shouted to them.
"Oh, so you always traveled illegally then huh?" Kiki asked with a grin.
"My life before you guys was the definition of illegal, how was i supposed to know?.." i pouted and crossed my arms.
"Well, it seems like she's found her next way to better the kingdom" obi chuckled along with the others.
"Of course! I think paying to come and go is stupid, how would people without much money visit their families often then?.." i mostly asked myself and tried to make a mental note of that.
"She's really turned out to be such a good princess. Maybe better than Zen" Mitsuhide chuckled and looked to zen.
"Im not a princess." Zen stated with an annoyed look while i giggled.
"Its a good thing we stole you away from the castle before you worked yourself to death" kiki said as she sipped some of her drink.
"Y/n, didnt you say you were working on a new sword here?" Shirayuki asked and almost made me choke on my drink.
"Y-Yes, it should be done soon if I can get back to the castle. It shouldn't have taken me this long but I was trying to work hard with the time i allowed myself to have" i coughed out.
"This specific one was for zen right?" Mitsuhide asked as we all began snacking on the lunch they brought.
"Yes.." i nodded and avoided others eyes in embarrassment.
"Shes restarted the same sword at least 3 times though" obi blurted out while I was siping my drink. I choked after hearing that. Of course, every chance he gets he'll embarrass me!
"Why?" Shirayuki asked in confusion.
"Because I couldn't figure out what shape I wanted it to be.." i mumbled and felt warmth in my face.
"Did you find the right one then?" Zen asked smiling.
"Mhm" i hummed and nodded with a little smile
"You know, I heard there's going to be a feast tonight" Mitsuhide said.
"I heard there were still butt hurt men who wanted another round against Y/n" kiki added while the others laughed.
"I dont know, its sort of been a while. I dont think ive ever gone this long without fighting before" i said as i looked up to the sky in thought.
"How about you warm up then?" Obi smirked. I looked back to him with a little grin and was starting to get excited. With all my princess duties I've forgotten where I came from.
"Youre on" i laughed as i stood up and pulled out my sword.
"Ive been practicing unlike you though" obi said with a grin, "and the soldiers have taught me a thing or two" obi said as the two of us walked a bit away from where the others sat to a bigger clearing.
"I guess it'll be a fair fight now that I'm a little rusty" i smirked while the others laughed behinds us.
"Yeah, Y/n!" Shirayuki shouted. Obi looked at her quickly in confusion and hurt so I took that chance to strike but unfortunately he caught me.
"Be cafeful, princess" obi told me with a wide grin.
"Youre my aid, if you're not stronger than me then I think I'll have to find someone else" i told him through a grin before we clashed swords.
"Thats not fair! You were raised with the best swordsmen in the world!" Obi shouted as we kept going.
"So! We were both raised by them!" I shouted back as our friends laughed.
"Y/n, dont let him beat you!" Zen shouted with encouragement. It gave me some sort of rush after hearing his voice and gave me strength. I knocked obi back before we crossed swords again. I almost had him.. Till I tripped over my dress and fell right on my butt.
"Ow.." i muttered in defeat and sighed.
"Y/n!.." Zen shouted quickly and came to my side for help.
"Im okay, zen" i giggled as he helped me back to my feet.
"Id like to see you fight in a dress, obi" shirayuki giggled as everyone stood with us.
"I would if I was a princess but unfortunately I'm not that cool" obi replied smirking.
"Whats cool about that?.." i asked with a sigh and rolled my eyes.
"The food" obi smirked with his hands on his hips.
"Oh.. Hey, do you remember in Alfin when we snuck into the kitchen all the time?" I asked obi as the thought popped into my head. Immediately he burst out laughing after remembering the things we did.
"Why?" Mitsuhide asked with a confused chuckle.
"Because we were poor" obi answered but kept laughing.
"I remember seeing you for the first time without a cloak. Your looked so skinny and fragile, i thought you'd break at any second" zen told me with a little smile as everyone thought back.
"..So im fat now?" I asked with a frown I tried to hide. Im only joking but I think deep down I've become more aware of my looks mostly because I'd like to impress zen but others because the public would be mean if I gained a lot of weight.. I have to start training again, I must be gaining so much weight by sitting around and studying all day! I mean, im normal as can be. I guess i don't eat that much and when i do its because i have to.. Ugh, I dont know.
"Wh-What? N-No!" Zen shouted as Mitsuhide busted out laughing from my joke.
I put my sword back in its sheath and crossed my arms over my chest. "I guess doing nothing but studying does that to you.." i muttered and looked down at myself. God, I really have gained weight havent I?
"Y/n, you-" zen began but shirayuki and kiki took my hands and led me away from the guys.
"You dont look fat by the way, lets just scare zen a little.." shirayuki whispered to me.
"Hes been saying he was bored for a long time but he won't be now" kiki said with a scary grin.
"A-Are you sure? Because I was half joking around-" i stuttered as I looked back to zen. He looks panicked but the guys can't stop laughing long enough to comfort him.
"Oh, he'll be fine. Besides, we haven't had a girls day in months!" Shirayuki shouted happily as i went along with them back to town.
For a while it was fun being with the girls. I mean, it was nice being with them the whole time but I sort of missed zen. I hadnt seen him all day. We went around the village looking at everything or hanging out with other girls in town. All we talked about was my princess duties though. At the end of the day we finally saw the guys again. I was changed into some other dress along with kiki and shirayuki as well. The girls really wanted us to dress up for this but it's not very fancy and the music is fast and fun. We went to the center of town where there was that same sitting arrangement higher up. Music was playing, drinks were flying, food was getting eaten and others were dancing.
When we first walked up the steps I just saw random people then the girls and I walked in a little deeper and found the guys sitting around a table looking.. sad?
"Whats got you three so gloomy?" Shirayuki asked in confusion before they noticed us. The guys eyes widened once they saw all of us and they looked suddenly happier. Maybe they missed us?
"Where have you three been all day?" Mitsuhide asked with a relieved sigh.
"Around" kiki shrugged with a little smile.
"I cant believe you left me to meet your dad alone.." obi muttered to shirayuki and didnt look very happy.
"What? I havent even seen him yet.." she said before looking around us.
"Hes kind of like my dad. I think theyre friends actually" i giggled as i looked at my father and hers sitting around a table telling stories of their past battles.
"Thats him.." shirayuki muttered and was looking right at him. "I saw him once at my grandparents bar so I knew he was okay but I didnt really think id see him again.." she said as she looked back to us.
"Obi, why don't you go say hi with shirayuki?" I asked smiling.
"Thats okay, ill be back in a minute" shirayuki told us with a strong smile before walking to the table with her dad and mine. Kiki and I took a seat then watched with the guys how things happened. Her father looked surprised that shirayuki remembered what he looked like. It was nice seeing their reunion though. Obi was quickly called over and looked so nervous when talking to her father.
"You see that, Zen? He didn't call shirayuki's father 'old man'" Mitsuhide said and bumped Zen's arm. I giggled after hearing that and saw thw small pouty look Zen had on.
"Its okay, I dont think dad minds it" i giggled.
"Y/n, I think hes calling you and Zen actually.." kiki tapped my arm to get my attention. I looked over to dad who was smirking and looked up to something.
"Uh.. Maybe ill stay here actually.." i muttered and tried to deny meeting dad. Hes probably gonna say something cheesy about me and obi falling in love or something again..
Dad got up from his chair with a cup in his hand and came marching over anyway.
"Y/n! Why didn't you come when I called?" Dad asked with a little glare.
"You cant order a princess around" i smirked even though i knew this title stuff was just for fun and games.
"You wouldn't even be alive without me!" He shouted while the others laughed.
"I know, im kidding" i giggled.
"Anyway, I wanted you to try this" he said and handed me his cup. The smell of this thing burned my throat dry but it looked pretty.
"Sir, what is that if you dont mind?" Mitsuhide asked as i took a big sip. Suddenly all the hair on my arms and the back of my neck stood up as the drink went down my throat. There wasn't a lot in the cup so I figured I'd just drink the rest..
"Y/n? What the hell was that?" Dad asked in shock and looked inside the empty cup.
"Hot.." i muttered with my eyes half opened. My whole body burned from the inside out and I felt.. Refreshed? No.. Im not sure but it was sort of exhilarating.
"Y/n?.." Zen called softly and sounded confused. My face flushed bright red when i heard his voice. Suddenly it clicked that I was actually here with my family again. I was finally with Zen. "You know you shouldn't have too much.." zen told me with a soft sigh as he wrapped his hand around mine that held the cup. I tensed up and felt stiff and nervous.
"Shes gone mute again" kiki said with a little grin.
"N-No!" I shouted quickly with an even brighter blush.
"You didnt take after me or your mother when it comes to alcohol.." dad sighed and shook his head.
"Unfortunately this isn't the first time she's been a little drunk." Mitsuhide chuckled.
"The chief herbalist fermented ruka fruit and asked y/n to try some for her" zen explained while I kept feeling embarrassed. I know im not as strong as my parents but thats not my fault..
"Y/n, why is your face so red?" Obi asked as he and shirayuki came back over.
"Huh?.." i hummed as I pressed my hand against my burning cheek.
"Take a guess what she drank" kiki said with a little grin.
"Oh!" shirayuki giggled after hearing that.
"Stop teasing me.." i pouted and looked down at the empty cup in my hands.
"We will" Zen chuckled as he gently took the cup from my hands and set it down on the table. "How about we show these people how royals dance?" He asked jokingly as he took my hand and stood up.
"Youre the only royal here, highness" i giggled as i stood up with him and followed where he walked.
"Highness.." he sighed repeating the word i said as he pulled me in a loose semi circle till I put my hand on his shoulder and his hand on my hip. "Sometimes when I hear you use titles I wished you were mute again" he chuckled.
"I kind of miss those days. I sounded much more polite because I had time to think about what I wanted to say" I giggled to him as we danced circles around the floor to fast paced music with the others who were dancing.
"I dont miss it but I do remember the first time you ever spoke to me at that inn while you and obi ran away" he said smiling while i felt a little embarrassed.
"That was an interesting day" i sighed thinking back to it.
"Then the day you finally got your voice back and went around to every soilder making them touch your hand because it didn't hurt anymore" he rolled his eyes while i giggled.
"Everyone thought I broke somehow, I remember" i nodded as we thought back.
"Things won't be the same anymore but I'm excited to make new memories with you.." he smiled as the music slowed down.
"I am too.. even if those memories are made a country apart" i giggled.
"Hey princess!" Mukaze called as he and shirayuki watched zen and i. "I heard it was your idea to come back here" he said as zen and i split apart and walked over to them.
"After i realized who your daughter was i suggested we visited. You must have known who i was talking about the whole time, didnt you?" I asked with a short laugh as shirayuki took my hand and sat me down next to her. On my other side I had zen then mukaze on the other side of Zen.
"Whyd you come though? You havent seen these guys in months" he asked and looked a little suspicious.
"Uh, well.." i muttered and played with the end of my hair. "I just kind of wanted out of the castle.." i sighed and felt sort of bad.
"You could have gone back to clarines though" Mukaze said which made my mind race. Would I have chosen to go back to clarines if I realized this sooner?.. Probably not. Im glad shirayuki met back up with her father after so long.
"But my friends are here." I said confidently as I looked around me. Everyone is here and we're all happy together. I wouldnt trade that.
"Y/n! Look what I found!" Obi shouted from behind me before suddenly shoving a giant bug right in my face.
I accidentally let out a quiet shout before jumping in my spot, shirayuki did too.
"Obi!" Shirayuki shouted and suddenly kicked him in the leg making him drop the bug on the table.
I stood up quickly and felt so disgusted. Ive always hated bugs and thatll never change.
"I didn't know you were scared of bugs" Zen chuckled as I stood behind him with my hands tight on his shoulders. I couldnt be more freaked out!..
"Ahaha! She's always been a scaredy cat!" dad shouted and suddenly put another bug right on my arm. I screamed and jumped right into Zen arms as he stood up.
"M-Make them stop!" I shouted to Zen and pressed my face against his chest just so I wouldn't have to see any more bugs.
"Dont worry, I wont let them touch you again" Zen chuckled and had his arms loosly around me while i pressed myself tight against him.
"I cant believe you! Why would you bring a bug to the table!" Shirayuki shouted at obi while dad tried to sneak away before shirayuki shouted at him too.
"I-Im sorry! I wont do it again!" Obi shouted quickly while I slowly loosened my grip on Zen.
"Its safe now" Zen told me with a glowing smile as i looked up to him.
"Im so glad you aren't anything like Obi.." i sighed in relief and let my forehead rest against his chest again.
"Y/n its by your foot!" Dad shouted suddenly. I almost freaked out but I knew he was kidding so I stayed calm.. and took a step away with zen. Zen suddenly started laughing as we hugged so i pulled a way in wonder.
"Ive never seen you scared like this" zen laughed while I quietly pouted, "its cute how you get scared over little things" he chuckled before calming down. My face instantly began to burn when he called me cute.
"I-I'm not scared, just surprised.." i crossed my arms and looked away.
"I think bugs would have been the last thing I'd guess for you to be scared of"  Mitsuhide chuckled as we grouped back together.
"I don't Iike them much either.." shirayuki sighed and stood by my side.
"Theyre so gross.." i muttered and hugged myself.
The night went on like that till everyone began going to bed. I walked alone back to where my room would be only to find dad waiting for me at the stairs.
"Dad?.." i asked in confusion as he stood up. Why does he look so serious?..
"Y/n, what if i told you that you couldn't marry zen anymore.. What would you do?" He asked me so suddenly. It had my mind and heart racing. Does he really not want me to marry zen after all we've been through? It was dads idea to even announce my title so soon!
"I-Id.. Id marry him anyway." I said with full confidence. "Even if the world told us no and we split apart somehow, I know we'd always find each other in the end." I told him and felt so nervous for his answer. Was he just curious or does he really not want me to be with zen?..
"Good.. I was hoping that's what you'd say" he said with a smile as he stood up and lightly rubbed the top of my head like he always would when I was a kid. "I think the prince was hoping for the same answer too" dad quietly chuckled and slowly turned me to where he was looking. There Zen stood with a glowing blush and eyes wider than id ever seen.
"It um.. wasnt supposed to be a secret.." i repeated the same words Zen told me the last time we were in this situation but last time it was me in his place.
"Dont stay up too late you two" dad chuckled as he turned away and started walking to his room.
"Y/n.." Zen muttered my name as he walked to me.
"This kind of reminds me of when I heard you talking to my dad last time we were here" i smiled remembering how he told my dad that he loved me.
"I remember seeing you sitting on these steps before.. You looked so surprised when you saw me.." he chuckled and took my hand then slowly walked with me up the stairs.
"You looked surprised too once you realized i heard everything" i giggled and held his hand tight.
"Well I didn't think you'd be spying on us" he retorted with that little grin.
"Spying? You were next to my room! I couldn't walk up there till you were done!" I shouted right as we stopped at my room. Is it bad that i really want him to stay tonight? Just to be next to me for a little while longer?
"I know, I know" he chuckled as he gently let my hand slide out of his. "Ill let you get some sleep then before that rematch fight against the town" he chuckled.
"Fight? They weren't kidding?" I asked with a soft sigh and was looking at his hand wondering if I could convince him to stay a little longer.
"Good night-" he started but I stopped his goodbye.
"Zen, d-do you have to go?.." i asked quietly after I quickly wrapped my arms around him and held him tightly.
"I was hoping you'd ask me to stay a while longer.." he muttered and gently wrapped an arm around me and used the other to open my door. We walked in my room together still in that tight hug. This feels so familiar yet different. It doesnt feel like i should have to hide being with him for a while longer tonight unlike the last time. Yes, we were together in a sense but now we're going to be engaged soon..
"I missed getting to hug you every so often.." i confessed as I held him as tight as i could.
"I did too.." he whispered as one of his hands gently played with my hair. "Its gotten a little longer.. maybe by June it'll be really long.." he muttered and sounded like he missed my hair being so short.
"Ill wait to cut it again then.. i want you to be the first to see it.." i said as he brought a short piece of my hair to his nose.
"Flowers.. Thats exactly how you smell.." he told me. I had never been told that before. Despite all the other things we're doing physically now, my mind was suddenly a mess. I blushed bright red and felt so flustered I could roll over and die!
"R-Really? M-Maybe it's because im always out in the gardens!" I said quickly with a nervous laugh.
"Maybe.." he chuckled as my hair slowly slipped out if his hand. My eyed were pointed at his smile and my ears replayed the sound of his laugh over and over again. "Come on, lets go sit down. It's starting to get cold" he chuckled and held my hand as we walked to my room.
"Lets sit on the bed then.. to keep warm.." i suggested with a blush I tried to hide.
"O-Okay.." he agreed and was flustered like I was. We both sat next to each other but at an awkward distance and I was the only one under the blanket..
"So.. Do i really have to fight everyone tomorrow?.." i asked and just tried to clear the air.
"I thought youd love the idea but I guess not" he said with a smile as i curled up under the blanket.
"Well, sort of.. I guess I've just lost my spirit is all.." i sighed and tried to keep warm.
"I understand that far too well.." zen sighed and looked lost.
"Whats wrong then?.. Did something happen in clarines?.." i asked quietly and looked over to him in wonder.
"No, nothing new anyway.. i just missed having you around that ive lost some sort of motivation.." he said and had his arm crossed. He looks freezing.
"I left a part of me with you after I left.. i guess it was my spirit or motivation.." i confessed as I pulled the blanket over him even if he didn't ask. He's shivering and needs to keep warm too. "Maybe you left yours with me too.." i wondered as I leaned against his side and rested my head on his shoulder.
"I suppose I did.." he said before letting out a soft breath.
"Then from now till the end, we have to give it our all! We can't let people see our work suffer because we're a little sad!" I told him with determination. "Tomorrow ill have my remarches and you'll continue your work back in clarines" i said happily and turned to see his wide eyes before they softened and created a smile.
"Lets work hard then" he nodded with the same determination i have.
We seemed to talk for a long while.. so long that poor zen fell asleep sitting up. Hes waited so long to be with me that he wore himself out..
I took off Zen's warm covering carefully so I wouldnt wake him then gently helped him lay flat on his back. He looks so helpless.. it makes me a little happy knowing he only falls asleep like this in front of me, Mitsuhide, kiki and obi. He has so much trust in us.. i softly pushed the little bit of hair in his shut eyes aside. He seems so relieved and relaxed. I dont know when they have to leave yet but im happy i got to spend this night with Zen.
I laid on top of the blanket being covered by my cloak so I wouldnt freeze.. and couldnt take my eyes off Zen. Hes everything to me and id be devastated if something happened to him while I wasnt there.. im so glad i get this time with Zen before we have to leave each other again..
And before I knew it, I had fallen asleep right besides him.