Chapter 12 : New Squad

S: I can't believe I had to watch while he beat the kid up. I know full well he didn't have to go quite that far. Does Levi already hate the kid that much? Like damn. Save some for me please.

While everyone was being told the ropes, Erwin threw me right into training with Mike's Squad. He's not a bad person, but in my opinion he's a pansy. I come in and beat his ass at everything and he just bends over and takes it? Like jeez have a little self respect. At least I still get to sleep with my friends. And I get a horse- so that's cool.

Hanji had a few questions for me- I guess I'm going to the lab now.

H: Soooooo, you are the lovely lady who can talk to titans.

S: Drop the act Hanji we've met before.

H: yeah but last time you tried to stab me in the eye, so not the best introduction.

S: I can try and shoot you this time.

H: very funny. No you are here to tell me about how you could seemingly control titans in Trost.

S: yeah- I've always been able to do that you know. I did it in Shiganshina 5 years ago and I did it now. The only difference is that this time I got caught.

H: you were reported talking to one. Calling it by name.

S: yeah his name was Samuel. Before Eren removed his head and spine.

H: you talk about them like they are people. Why?

S: well they seem to like people, although they have differing degrees of comprehension. Better than humans in some ways. Can't talk back. Murderous monsters. I gotta say I can relate.

I got a kick out of the look Hanji gave me. Even someone as crazy as her could recognize how psychotic I had become. To bring the point home I pulled out a knife and fiddled with it.  I methodically twisted the tip on the palm of my finger. I ran it down my index finger. I didn't even wince as it cut me. I was proud how clean the cut was.

H: Sage I'm a bit worried about your, well, psychological health. 

S: get in line.

H: If this keeps up you may not be allowed on active duty.

S: don't give me that BS. They went through a lot to get their weapon. They aren't going to just bench me

H: and who are they?

S: don't ask stupid questions Hanji. You're to smart for that.

I lifted the knife to my face and licked off the blood. It had been a while since the cold taste had seeped down my throat.

H: you aren't really allowed to carry a knife Sage.

S: It reminds me of home.

H: Look Sage if you aren't going to give me any definitive answers, you can just leave. 

S: I always talk in riddles. You already know as much as I do.

H: You will be joining me for my experimenting tomorrow with Sauny and Bean

S: NO!

H: What?!

S: I won't help you just torture those creatures. I refuse to be a part of it. Hell I have doubts those are even their real names.

H: You seem to have more empathy for the titans than you do for people. Why? Why in the world could someone like you feel for them?

S: I guess because I don't think it's their fault that they are monsters. I can relate to them. It isn't my fault that I'm this way.

H: Yet you refuse to change.

S: If something broken is working, why take the time to fix it?

H: Because it matters.

S: But you find no problem torturing the titans?

H: It's different.

S: Is it? Because from what they told me, those titans were humans. Something happened to them that changed them. Maybe I could have found out more if I was able to visit them, but instead I was hauled up in camp. Have fun thinking about that during your experiments tomorrow.

H: But how?

Hot tears began to stream down my face.

S: NO ONE CHOOSES TO BE A MONSTER HANJI!! But here we are.

I wiped my tears and returned to the barracks. Like hell I was going to help Hanji hurt them. No. No way.

Thanks for reading!!!