Chapter 15: Friends

Levi POV

L: This is bad.

E: It could be worse

Erwin was handcuffed, but still calm and smug as ever.

L: She wasn't briefed on who exactly the female titan is. And, well, apparently they were close.

E: Get some gear on and go. Now.

Sage POV

The two titans clashed. Eren was stronger, but the female obviously had better moves. So I began to get in my little cuts. She was good at keeping track but I got a deep one in her shoulder blade and another across her eye. 

That's when she beat down Eren and made a break for it. I was still hooked on her by my blade, and wasn't exactly expecting her to run. My right wind snagged on a roof top and I got a reminder that I wasn't actually wearing any gear. I began to fall to the ground when something a little unexpected happened. She caught me.

"Sage"

S: Am I going crazy already. I was hoping that wouldn't happen til I was at least 20.

A: No you idiot it's me.

S: Annie! Your the female titan. Wait.

I thought for a second. All the pieces fell in place if she was. Everything. How did I not see it before? The answer was simple. Maybe I just didn't want to see it.

A: Please Sage. Please help me.

S: You killed so many. I can't let you run away

A: I just want to go home Sage. 

That hit me hard. I understood that. I never had a real home.

S: What can I do. 

She lifted me to stand on her shoulder. My wing had steamed off an healed.

A: I need you to cut my body from the nape of my neck and hide it.

S: I can take you to the underground. It's pretty easy to hide there.

We were quickly approaching the wall. She began to climb it. That's when I saw Mikasa. Shit. I quickly cut Annie's body out and flew up the wall.

L: SAGE!!!

I turned to see him coming towards me in the distance.

L: Are you really about to give this up? A chance to be a hero. To be the good guy.

S: I'm not anyone's hero. 

I flew off. It was a pretty long flight to Trost, but by staying in cloud cover I managed it. I walked through the smelly and scoured streets again. The shit and blood on the ground wasn't especially inviting, but it was home. I still had a few connections.

I knocked on a wooden door.

"Who goes there."

S: It's me Misha. I need a place to stay. I can pay rent.

M: Well it's been too damn long. I haven't seen your sorry ass in a while. 

S: Very funny.

M: Yeah I can keep you here. I'm guessing you're running from something.

S: This is Annie. She and I ran from the scouts. 

M: I'll give you a list tomorrow.

A week later...

Levi POV

L: No sign of Annie, but reports that a new criminal bearing wings is in the underground killing for bounty. The Shadow Killer.

E: How creative.

H: This can't look too good. I don't know how you spun this one Erwin.

E: What can I say Hanji, it's a talent.

L: If I had to guess this isn't the last we'll see of Sage or Annie.

H: You know the girl the best, why do you think she would give up a better life for Annie.

L: Sage has always been driven with a sense of family and loyalty. Kenny didn't wan't another kid who hated his guts so he bred it into her like a dog. If I had to guess she finds that bond with Annie.

E: That's a good guess. My question is how long did she suspect Annie to be the female titan? Cause from what people say she wasn't too surprised about that.

H: It's likely she's a bit more on the ball with all of this than we are. She knows a lot more about the titans than she would like to tell us, so it's not a stretch she knew about Annie.

L: I think she knew something, but I don't think it was that. 

E: Oh really, and why is that.

L: I don't think she would have been screaming at her to die and sicking every titan on her if she knew. And I think she has a few regrets too.

H: Why?

L: Because she risked her life to save every man in that forest, and I think she wants to know what's in that cellar as much as we do.

Thanks for reading!!