Chapter 26: Reluctant Heroes

Yeah I know I said I was going to take a break but like well I was inspired.

Sage sprinted through the forest towards the sound of titans transforming. She had been gone for food for one hour and it all went to hell. As she continued running, and eerie silence fell over the forest. She came to a clearing to see Levi driving a cart carrying Zeke in it. 

When she was only a few feet away everything went to slow motion. She could see Zeke pulling the pin on the thunder spear lodged in his just. There was no way Levi could survive and explosion at point blank range.

Sage dove in front of Levi. An explosion rang out in the night.

(timeskip)

Hange could see the steam steadily rising from the edge of the small clearing. She walked over to see two bodies lying on the ground. Laying there was a steaming pile with Sage's face, and under her was a barely conscious Levi. Levi groaned in pain as he slowly sat up to look at Hange, only to have a gun pointed at his head.

"Levi Ackerman, I sentence you to death for treason." Floch said, but Levi just grabbed the gun and moved it away, much to Floch's surprise.

"Since when were you in charge?" Levi said groggily, still rather disoriented. "Have you gone mad?"

Just then, Zeke emerged from a steaming titan body, distracting Floch long enough for Hange and Levi to escape with Sage's body.

Sage was in an out of it for multiple days. Though her body had healed, her brain had still been blown off, and she was experiencing some major amnesia. She could remember most of her life, but the past week was a blur.

She had been sleeping a lot, it was the best way to give her brain time to retain the memories she had lost. She finally woke up with all of her memories a few days after the incident. She saw everyone was sitting around a fire, and she came and joined them, sitting next to Reiner. He wrapped his arm around her, giving her a squeeze.

"It's good to have you back." He said with a smile. Then Sage saw Annie. She leaped up from the ground and hugged her tight. A few tears trickled down her face.

"I missed you too." Annie said, returning the hug.

Sage sat between Annie and Reiner, not really listening to the conversation, but just enjoying their company. She only tuned back in when Jean started getting quite close to hitting Reiner. He swung at him, but Sage caught his fist.

"Calm down Jean. I'm the one who killed Marco anyway. But, we have to be a team now. Just sit down, relax. Maybe I'll even sing a sing." Sage said quietly.

Jean gave Sage one last glare before sitting back down. Talking continued for another hour before Jean reminded Sage he was owed a song.

Sage sings reluctant heroes (Amalee cover) - i don't own this

Can't look back
They will not come back
Can't be afraid
It's time after time

Sage sang as the group quieted.

So you can't fly if never try
You told me... Oh, Long ago
But you left the wall
Out side the gate

Everyone's faces began to sadden at the old war song. Most of the time it was sung as an anthem to fallen brethren, but Sage sung it slow. Each word hit the group like a ton of bricks.

It was like a nightmareIt's painful for meBecause nobody wants to die too fast

ITears began to trickle down the faces of a few of the scouts, namely Armin and Connie. Sage's voice flicked up a note a few times as she tried to contain her emotions.

Sing for the reluctant heroes
Oh Give me your strength
Our life is so short
Sing for the reluctant heroes
I wanna be brave like you

Now even Levi had a few tears trickle down his face, presumably remembering Erwin.

Remember a day we dreamt
It's painful for me
I could see your face
I could hear your voice

The song finally finished as the group remembered their fallen comrades. The people they had fought alongside.

After a long silence Connie held of his drink.

"For Sasha." 

"For Erwin." Levi echoed.

"For Porco." Falco said.

"For Marcel" Reiner followed.

"For Moblit and Mike." Hange replied.

"For Marco." Jean said.

"For Ymir." Mikasa continued.

"For Bertholdt." Annie echoed. 

"For Thomas and Samuel." Armin said

"For all of our reluctant heroes." Sage finished.

Glasses and mugs clinked together as the group began to bond.

Thanks for reading!