Chapter 22: Shiganshina

Sage watched from afar as the scouts entered the hole in Shiganshina. She nodded to Piek to go notify Zeke.

Sage slowly made her way through the houses. She had a simple job, kill the horses while Reiner distracted the group. Sage has tried to tell Zeke that Erwin was a little bit too bright to fall for that, but Zeke refused to believe that "the pacifist devils" couldn't possible foil his plans.

Sage heard Reiner's titan transform early- which could only mean he was flushed out. Sage has to work quickly to get in position, but her speed made her careless, and Levi saw her from atop the wall. Without even a word he nose dived straight towards her position.

Sage jumped out front the houses and bit her thumb. With a crack the huge dragon titan roared. She looked down at the new recruits. It was hilarious how terrified they were.

Levi got up from the blast, and began to engage. The scouts were able to move about half of the horses inside the wall as Zeke threw his rock late. The steam created by Sage's transformation had made it impossible to aim.

Sage began to spray the ground with fire everywhere, coating the air with a thick layer of smoke. It was an even match between her and Levi. Levi could move quicker, but she smoke Sage was making had caused his eyes to sting and her scales made it hard to latch onto.

In an attempt to get Levi off, Sage rolled on the ground, flattening houses. Destruction was everywhere. Levi began to cut into Sage's expose underbelly, but she whipped up her tail and cut deep into his side. Levi screamed pain, and grappled off of the dragon.

Sage was about to finish him when 10 terrified recruits jumped into battle. She killed 8 of them, but it gave Levi time to recover and tie his hood around his side.  They began to fight again, and that's when Levi began to talk.

"You don't need to prove anything Sage." Sage turned and roared at him, blowing him back into a wall. She shot spikes out of her tail and pinned him.

"It doesn't matter whats out there."

Sage walked closer. She opened her mouth, and the light form her fire began to glow in her throat.

"You told me I was lucky I got to choose my own identity. You can choose yours here. You can stop letting your past control you, and you can have your own identity."

Sage closed her mouth, the heat from the fire she was creating steamed out through her teeth. Her dragon eyes changed from their normal slits to a rounder shape. Her tail wrapped around the spikes pinning Levi to the wall, and gently pulled them out. Levi slid to the ground and her tail wrapped around him. She lightly placed Levi on her back.

"Now hold on a se-" Levi began to say before Sage spread her wings and lifted off the ground. She rose to just about the height of the wall, just in time to see Bertholdt transform. Just in time to see the body parts flying. To see almost all of the experienced scouts get obliterated. Only the recruits with the horses inside Shiganshina seemed to remain intact. 

Erwin frantically dropped down to give orders. This left only Levi and Sage to defend the flank. A hoard of small titans ran forward to attack, and Sage let out a deafening roar. The small titans began to back up. They turned and ran into the forest behind them. Zeke tried to call them back, but to no avail. The larger titans began to back up as well, but didn't abandon the siege. 

Sage began to charge at the Beast titan, but his long arms made it difficult to get close to him. That's when Levi jumped off her back. Ignoring the pain in his shoulder, Levi began to cut away at Zeke. The massive titan finally fell to the ground, and Zeke's broken body sat in the nape.

Thanks for reading!