Chapter 25: Cages

Sage looked around. She wasn't restrained in any way, at any time she could return to her titan form and escape. 

"We're in a populated area. It wouldn't be smart to transform here." Eren said, staring at her from across the room. 

"But they's just be collateral right?" Sage said angrily, "Just like the people in Liberio." 

"You and I both know you aren't strong enough to do what's right, even if people die." Eren said.

"Don't act all high and mighty with me. You aren't some saint. You're a monster just like me. Hell you probably beat my kill count with the shit you pulled." Sage retorted.

"And yet we are both in cages. Even outside this prison cell we are never free." Eren said, "it doesn't matter to me where I am on Paradis. We are always in a cage." 

"I built my cage. I made it with my own two hands. I choose to live in it." Sage replied.

"Why? Why live always knowing you are trapped? Why not try to be free?" Eren said, now standing close to the bars that separated the two.

"You see that's the irony. You have your own cage. You built it too. You try so hard to be free. But that in itself makes you a slave to your cause. Say you win. Say you are 'free'. What next? Then you are a slave to victory." Sage said, standing up to meet Eren eye to eye.

"Liar! If i can break this cage I am free." Eren shouted at her.

"So you're in denial. That's cute. Keep living in this hell you have tried so desperately to build. The only true freedom you will ever receive is death. Something you have been robbed of for as long as you have a titan." Sage said calmly.

"So that's what you live for? You live to die? What a lovely philosophy that is." Eren said, mocking Sage.

"I live so that others can do more than die. Freedom in this life is a lie, and I am okay with that. I am willing to be a slave to the system if it means I can help others." Sage said.

"So that's it? This is just some twisted repentance? What greater repentance is there than to free the people of Paradis?" Eren said.

"What greater sin is it to destroy everything else just so you can have your 'freedom'?" Sage said. Eren stepped back. He had never mentioned his true plans to anyone.

"The paths connect us all. You aren't the only one with the knowledge of how to use them." Sage said. Turning around and looking out the window. "I want to see your friends expressions when I tell them how you're planning to be a mass murderer." 

"You know Annie is still trapped in that crystal. With the power of the Founding titan I can release her." Eren said.

"She wouldn't want that."

"Or kill her. It doesn't matter to me either way."

Sage looked down to the ground. She knew it was wrong. To put one life over so many others. But kill Annie? She couldn't do it.

"Damn you. Damn you to hell." She said, not looking Eren in the eye.

"See you there." He replied, and turned to his own thoughts. 

Later...

Hange walked into the room, staring down the two titan shifters. After an attempt at speaking with Eren failed, Hange turned to Sage.

"It's no use. You can't get anything through that thick skull unless you bit it into him." Sage said.

"You sound like Levi." Hange said. "I have a proposition for you. Go and use your titan powers to guard Zeke with the others." 

"Why should I trust you?" Sage said, staring deep into Hange's eyes.

"How could you ask that? I would not hesitate to trust you with my life, and you can't trust me? When have I ever done something to betray you?" Hange said in disbelief.

"If you hadn't brought the core to Liberio we would have been able to stop Eren and foil Zeke's plans. For someone who claims to be a genius you really are a dumbass." Sage said, turning around to walk away.

"So what if I am? I are trying to find peace. I learned that from you." 

Sage paused.

"If I find you to be lying I will not hesitate to kill you, and your entire core."

"Fine." Hange said, rather begrudgingly. She unlocked the cell and the two walked out. 

"Don't forget what I have the power to do." Eren said as they left.

Without turning around Sage responded, "Don't forget my power either. You can't control me. A dragon never bows it's head."

With that, Sage exited the room.

Thanks for reading!