Chapter 21: The Assassin

Hi! I'm experimenting with writing in the third person. Hope you don't mind!

Sage walked towards the motionless body of Kenny Ackerman.

"Think he's dead?" The blonde he seemed to like asked.

"Like hell." Sage replied. She planted a kick right in the crotch, and Kenny yelped in pain.

 "That was unnecessary kid! Go n' get the job done already!" 

"Yeah yeah." Sage replied. She had remembered how Kenny's bossiness was rather infuriating. She began to swing towards the carriage's path once again. She looked down to see the small raven-haired captain taking down 4 more members of Kenny's entourage without mercy. It had been a while since she had watched Levi work. It was meticulous, powerful work. 

Sage saw her chance to begin her own plan as Levi regrouped with the other scouts. Two more of Kenny's men flew into formation behind her, Sage promptly turned and shot them both, and then rocketed down towards Levi at full speed, sending him to a hard landing. Knowing that wouldn't keep him out for long, she promptly shot Levi in the shoulder.

"Damn you Sage!" Mikasa screamed, charging at her from behind. Sage simply used her improved wing maneuvers to slip out of the way. It became a race towards the carriage. Sage got there first, but to the scouts surprise she pulled out her knife and slit the MP in charge of the carriage.

"Let's go bitches!" Sage screamed at the top of her lungs. Suddenly, out of no where, was Misha's gang. Sage had owed them after getting them into hot water for giving her and Annie sanctuary. 8 women sprang from the shadows, wearing 3DMG gear, one carrying Levi's bleeding body. They surrounded, and escorted the carriage to Trost. Sage looked up to see Kenny's pissed of face in the distance.

"You can pick them up tomorrow if your willing to pay jackass!" Sage yelled at the man.

~~~~two days later.

Levi woke up in a cold cell. His right shoulder could move, but it stabbed him with pain.

"I'd advise against that. I shot you so you'd be better in about 3 days. Only brushed the tendon. Lot of bleeding though, so take it easy. I'd hate to have to damage any merchandise. I'm quite certain Erwin will pay a pretty penny to get his favorite captain back." Sage leaned against the wall opposite to Levi's cell bars.

"I take it the coup was a success." Levi sat up staring at Sage with cold, dead eyes.

"Somehow that half-baked plan of blonde's worked."

"Where did we go wrong?" 

"What?"

"We gave you everything you could want. Why turn against us? Why side with Reiner and Bertholdt?"

"You can't give me a family, and, well, they can't either."

"So why?"

After a long pause Sage finally spoke. "I am someone to those people. I want to know who that is."

"Why does it matter?" Levi asked, "Why is what they think that important?"

"You never had an identity, Levi. You got to make one for yourself. In the end, you are your own person. But there is a piece of me out there, somewhere. I don't know the full story, and I can't stop until I do." Neither spoke again for the rest of the time.

~~~~~Time skip to Rod Reiss raising hell as he heads towards Trost 

Sage stood on the wall. She didn't know what to do. Could she even stop this? Should she even stop this? Her silvery hair blew in the wind as the steaming behemoth moved ever closer to the wall. Her mind drifted to Annie. What would happen if the walls fell to this monster? What would happen to the only person she ever really cared about?

With her mind made up Sage descended the wall. Flew towards the massive titan. Passing by the scouts.

"What the hell are you doing?" She heard Erwin scream at her before the sound of steam drowned out their voices. 

The titan slowly lifted it's bleeding face to look at her. 

"Stop." With the simple command the titan ceased movement. Tears began to trickle down Sage's face. She had never had any sympathy for humans, but for titans it was different. She somehow knew they were innocent. For the first time in her life Sage truly felt like a murderer. A killer. A monster.

"Die."

The titan's small arm slowly reached up to it's spine. In one swift movement the titan had slain itself. As she touched the titan's body, Sage began to shake. Memories of the past began to swirl in her head. 

She first saw herself, under the tree all those years ago. Then her parents. Then the kingdom of Marley. Her mind traveled throughout the world. Finally a pair of eyes flashed before her.

"Come find me."

Thanks for reading.