Chapter 23: When Titans Reach The Sea

Sage watched as Bertholdt was enveloped into Armin's mouth. She couldn't help but avert her gaze as his skull split and his screams died. The ride back to Wall Rose was quiet. 25 survivors. Erwin had been crushed by Bertholdt's Colossal Titan, and almost the entirety of the elite squads were dead. 11 of the survivors were experienced, the rest were new recruits that hadn't died in collateral. 

Sage lightly landed on the wall. The garrison began to aim cannons until they saw the scouts on her back. Sage sat quietly through the conference held to decide whether the people should know the truth. All she could think about was her decisions. What if she made a mistake?

As they left the conference room Levi walked with her.

"What are you planning on now?" Sage said.

"I honestly don't know." Levi responded.

"I'm going to be gone a while. I hope everything is ok if I come back." Sage said quietly.

"What do you mean if you come back?" Levi said.

"I want to see the rest of the world. Not just Marley, but everything." Sage replied.

Levi stopped. "You can't just leave. Not now. We need you."

"Yeah, cause I set a great example for what new recruits should be." Sage said mockingly.

"I need you." Levi said quietly. He averted his gaze from Sage's.

Sage turned and placed a hand on his shoulder. "I'll be back when titans reach the sea." And then Sage left.

~~~~~Fast forward to the scouts (aka only the characters you actually care about) taking a field trip to a summit about Paradis

The undercover scouts looked on horrified as the man began to once again blame the Eldians of Paradis for everything wrong in the world. Eren was about to leave when he heard-

"Next speaker, Sage Mirage." He turned to see Sage. She was taller, but still suitably short. Her hair had grown out due to not using 3DMG gear. Her eyes looked tired. Murmurs erupted in the crowd.

"I know it is convenient for us to create a scapegoat for all of our problems, but I would like to at least propose the facts of who exactly has caused the reason for this summit to begin. We all know the tail of Carl Fritz. What few of you may know is that Fritz took an oath of pacifism, which was passed down through his family for generations, along with the founding titan. To put it simply, we have never been under an threat of attack from the Eldians of Paradis."

The crowd gasped and murmured, and the Marley representatives looked like they may kill Sage if they had the chance.

"Moreover, many officials in the Marlean government knew this, and chose to attack anyway. This leads to this committee's current issue. Possible imminent war with Paradis, and the Attack Titan weilded by Eren Jaeger."

While speaking, Sage made direct eye contact with Eren. It was only for a split second, but it was quite obviously intentional. 

"However, I would like to point out the fact that Jaeger would have no knowledge of possessing the titan if it weren't for the second attack on Paradis by the Warriors of Marley. In summary, this is Marley's problem, and they can fix it how they see fit. I propose the rest of the world stay out of it, considering we did not start this war. Thank you. Any questions?"

One of the Marley representatives immediately yelled, "How do we know you aren't Eldian! What if you're a spy preparing for war!" Screams and jeer erupted from the crowd. People began to get restless. Sage sighed. She pulled of her jacket and dropped it to the floor. She pulled a knife from her sleeve and cut her back. Steam erupted as her wings formed.

The crowd watched in awe. Gasps of surprise and wonder could be heard throughout the room.

"My entire race was wiped out by the Eldian Empire. Yet I am willing to speak on behalf of them. Stop playing victim for an event that happened 2000 years ago. I implore you to look to the future, and find peace with the Eldians of Paradis. Thank you for your time."

Sage walked off the stage. Her security surrounded her as she left the assembly. The crowd outside began to throw food at her, but stopped when they saw her black wings spread for all to see. 

After walking to her hotel, Sage put on a long trench coat and hat.

"I'm going to visit Liberio again."

"It's not safe ma'am." A guard protested, but Sage silenced them and jumped out the window. Levi watched as she made her way towards the internment camp, and he silently tailed her.

Thanks for reading!