chapter i

chapter i.

1934

BEING the new kid sucks, it really does. First, you don't know anyone, no one knows you and you're forced to try to make new friends. Now for some, making new friends might be easy but for others like not so much. Second, you don't know how things are going to go, people might like you and you become popular, or people might hate you and you're left alone by yourself.

This was the exact predicament our young Winnie White was facing right now. 

Don't get her wrong, Winnie loved to be around people, she really did but as she made her way into her first class of the day and school, she couldn't help but feel incredibly nervous for what was going to come. All Winnie could do was pray that nothing would go wrong and that maybe she could make a few friends.

Once she had made it to the classroom, Winnie kept her head a little bit low as to not cause attention but to also not be seen as a shy weirdo. God, the struggles of people a teenager were real. Her thoughts wandered off as her new teacher began to introduce her to the rest of the class.

To be honest, all she wanted to do was leave and never come back. Sure, school was important and such and she did enjoy learning but Winnie's true passion was to be out in the world adventuring. Maybe with a few best friends to make it seem less lonely, maybe even an animal, like a dog! But alas, her father would never let that happen.

The words of her teacher's shrilling voice snapped her out of her thoughts, "White, you can go sit in the vacant seat next to, Barnes."

At this, Winnie raised her head to see where the teacher had pointed. Following her finger, her eyes found her seat and she quickly made her way to her new seat, not taking a second glance at the class or the Barnes boy.

As she sat down and took out her accessories from her small backpack, her teacher began to start the lesson.

Mrs Sullivan was a tall and very petite lady who wore very small glasses that sat at the very bottom of her nose. Her dress was the colour of mud and she had a white pearl necklace around her neck. From the sound of her voice and her choice of clothing, Winnie could already tell she was a boring teacher and what's worse is that it was history. 

It's all in the past, who cares? That was what she would think to herself every history lesson. Definitely not her forte of a class. She had nothing against it just her past teachers were all horrible and just loved to learn about the same subject for months, going over stuff that they already knew, very well too.

Getting bored already, Winnie began drawing on the last page of her book. She drew little flowers at first but then started drawing things around her like the girl one seat diagonally in front of her.