chapter xvi

chapter xvi.

"i can do this all day

"i can do this all day."

______

1943

WINNIE found herself waiting inside of one of the enlistment buildings waiting for Steve as he tried once again to get signed off for being suitable to go fight in the war. This was about his eighth time trying to get enlisted. Every time he tried, he would get deemed as unfit to go into war but that didn't stop him from trying. Winnie wasn't very fond of the idea of the small Rogers boy going off to fight in a war but she stood by him, every step of the way.

The war was something that she wasn't very keen on. With the amount of people who had died due to everything going on, it made Winnie feel sick. And the thought of knowing that Steve - the small boy who once had an asthma attack because he drank his water too quickly - was trying to enlist. Not only that but she knew that Bucky had been deemed as fit to go to war, all he was waiting for was his orders.

When the Barnes boy first talked about him going to fight in the war, Winnie immediately put the idea done and asked him to promise her that he wouldn't sign up. She felt guilty and controlling for making him promise her something that he might not have control over but she couldn't have him go and pretty much give his life to go fight.

Then when she found the letters on his coffee table about him being able to go train at one of the training grounds, Winnie was livid. The two yelled at each other for hours, going round and round in circles about how he had promised her. After a couple of days of letting off steam, Winnie forgave the Barnes boy the day that he had to go leave to get trained. 

She tapped her foot against the floor and looked around the building once again. As she was waiting, her eyes caught onto a new poster that had been put up. Knitting her brow together, she walked over to it, curiosity bubbling in her stomach. She always was a curious one. Her eyes scanned the poster that read:

Nurses Needed Now! Enlist Today To Help Your Country!

Winnie bit her lips as she looked down at the signing sheet that had barely any signatures. She stared at it for a few moments. The girl always wanted to help people, no matter who they were but was this really the right choice? What would Bucky and Steve say? Would she be a hypocrite for signing up and not talking to anyone about it first and for signing up when she yelled at Bucky for not talking to her about it first? ..Yes.

Taking in a deep breath, Winnie cleared her mind from the doubts she had about the whole thing. The next thing she knew, she had the pen in her hand and was scribbling in her name and address onto the paper. She didn't even know what she was doing until she had finished writing. She just signed up to go to war and help as a nurse. Something that she had no experience in apart from tending herself when her Father went to far. Nerves built up inside of her and she began to doubt her choices, however there was no going back now.