chapter xxv

chapter xxv

"yes!"

______

1943

After a lot of nagging, Winnie found herself in the medic tent. She had profusely told Steve and Bucky that she was fine and that she felt great but the two boys both thought differently.

They worried about her a lot, especially because of how they found her covered in blood and hanging from her wrists so to keep them from having a nervous breakdown, she caved in and went to see the medic.

She sat on one of the cots, her legs dangling in the air because of how small she was. The girl looked around the room, it had been a while since she was in here and when she was, she was on the other side. It felt weird to be the one being treated.

Soon enough, one of the nurses came over to check on her. The older woman gave Winnie a small smile and a polite hello. Winnie didn't recognise her so she could only assume she was a newbie.

The nurse began by inspecting her body for any sort of cuts or injuries but as she looked, the nurse found herself frowning. She then went on to do other tests like breathing exercises to check her lungs and she checked her heart but everything she did, she found nothing wrong.

"What did you say happened to you?" she asked looking at Winnie.

Winnie bit her lip and knitted her brow together. She couldn't remember much from the whole thing, it all hazy in his mind. Sure she could remember small parts but not enough to fully understand what happened.

"Um, I think they injected me with some sort of serum," the White girl explained. "I'm also pretty sure that they did some other things too, I vaguely remember them doing other tests and hurting me quite a bit. I'm sorry it's all really foggy for me."

The nurse nodded at her words before smiling at her. "Well, Miss White, it appears like there is nothing wrong with you."

Winnie threw her hands into the air and smiled back at the nurse. "See? I told them I was fine and that there was nothing wrong with me."

The nurse chuckled at her actions shaking her head. "Men."

"Yeah," Winnie laughed before hopping off of the cot and heading towards the door. "Thank you, ma'am." The nurse nodded her head at the girls and gave her a small wave before heading off to check other patients.

Winnie left the medic tent in search to find Bucky. The two hadn't had a proper conversation since that night and that was over two weeks ago. She missed his voice and his terrible jokes.