chapter xx

chapter xx.

"i want you out in the front lines"

______

1943

The next few weeks went by in a flash. Winnie was incredibly busy trying to help the injured soldiers that had come back from the trenches so she didn't have a lot of time to spend with Bucky. Nurse White knew that she should just be glad that he's in the same regiment as her but it was still sometimes annoying that she would see him roaming around outside of the window and she was stuck inside but she tried to put it past her.

During the times that she wasn't busy, Winnie would usually be with Bucky alone or with some of the people she had met on her first day here, who also happened to be friends with the Barnes boy. There had been a lot of teasing the two youngsters of the group, saying how 'lovey-dovey' they were, mostly just trying to annoy Bucky but he took everything he said with pride. Winnie however, would flush with embarrassment at everything.

Whenever Nurse White and Sergeant Barnes would be alone together they would usually be in one of their tents - not doing that! Get your mind out of the gutter! No, they would just be talking about whatever came to mind. In those moments, it made them feel like they were back home in Brooklyn, where everything was the same.

At night, one of them would try to sneak out of their tents and go to the other's so that they would be next to each other. They had been caught a few times but that didn't stop them from continuing to sneak into each other's tents. During this time, they couldn't resist being next to one another whenever they could. Having the other nearby helped them cope with everything that was happened and god, were they glad that they had each other at this time.

And then if Winnie wasn't with Bucky or wasn't working, she would be writing letters to either, Steve, Evie or the Barnes family. Over the past few weeks, the girl had received a few letters back from them, all wishing her luck and saying that they were all praying for her. They would also talk about the events that had happened back in Brooklyn, every time it would bring a tear to Winnie's eye, god she just wished she was back home with her friends and the people she considered family.

One thing, however, that had concerned her about the letters was the lack of them from Steve. During her first week or two, she had received at least three but for a while now she hadn't gotten one. Winnie had asked Bucky if he had heard anything for the small boy and much to her dismay, he hadn't and that just piled onto her worries.

Last week, the camp had moved to Italy to go help the country fight off the axis. It took a few days to get there but eventually, they found themselves in the beautiful country of Italy which was currently all dark and gloomy just like England.