chapter xiii

chapter xiii.

"i'm with you till then end of the line, pal"

______

1936

ONCE Winnie had finished up the paperwork at the hospital, she bolted out the building, not wanting to be under the same roof as her best friends deceased Mother.

When getting out the building, she ran round the side of it and broke down into a sob, her tears smudging her make-up. She let her body fall to the muddy ground and then pulled her legs up close to her body for comfort. Yes she had been exposed to death before but that didn't mean that it would be any easier than the first time.

She wasn't sure how long she had been sitting there in the mud but what after felt like an hour of wallowing in her pain, Winnie harshly rubbed her eyes with her hands, trying to get rid of the puffiness surrounding her eyes. Slowly, she stood up from her sport on the ground, wiping at her dress attempting to get some of the mud off of it. Sadly her attempt to get the mud off wasn't very successful and now Winnie's clothes were covered in mud. 

The White girl knew that she had to get back to her house soon or else Bucky would start to get worried, so she began her journey back home, covered in mud. She could feel a few people looking at her weirdly as she walked down the street, some confused as to why she was muddy and others looked at her and scoffed, assuming that she was some poor.

Soon Winnie found herself at the familiar apartment block and began to make her way up the stairs before opening the door and walking through. The first thing she noticed was Mr Barnes holding his wife in a tight embrace, trying to soothe the poor woman, she had just lost her best friend. Winnie watched as her head detached itself from Mr Barnes' neck and look over towards the White girl, a sorrow look on Mrs Barnes' face.

Winnie walked farther into the house and noticed Steve and Bucky on the couch sitting next to each other. She didn't see Bucky's three sisters - Rebecca, Beverly and Juniper - so she could only assume that they were at school and they had no idea what had happened. The White girl felt bad that they would have to experience death at a young age like herself, god knows how they are going to react.

The White girl quickly made her way over to the couch and sat down next to Steve, grabbing his hand and giving it a squeeze. She noticed his eyes were red and puffy and he had think water streaks down his face. Steve looked up from the floor to look at Winnie's sad smile which he returned with his own very small one. He was so grateful for her going down to the hospital for him; if Steve went, he wasn't sure how he would've been able to cope.

Steve gently rested his head on Winnie's shoulder and sighed quietly. She put her free hand on his head and his soft hair. The White girl placing her lips onto the top of Steve's head before resting her chin on it. Her eyes locked onto Bucky's mournful ones. Bucky gave her a tight smile that she returned.