chapter iii

chapter iii.

1934

TIME flew by quick and Winnie had already been living in Brooklyn for a few weeks now. School was still boring and consisted of Bucky being at her side with the classes that they had together which made school a little more bearable.

Winnie and Bucky had begun to get to know each other pretty well. It didn't take long for them to become great friends. Every week or so, they would go to the library together, not just to study but also to just hang out. On many occasions, they would just sit in comfortable silence, reading their separate books. 

On the days that she wasn't helping Bucky, Winnie would adventure Brooklyn after school and today was just like every other.

Once Winnie was able to get out of the depressing school building, she spent her time walking around Brooklyn, taking up as much time as possible so that she didn't have to go home. Winnie didn't mind that though, she liked adventuring and being outside, she found it calming yet exciting to be somewhere new.

 The Brunette found herself at a quiet lake. The water was clear but it was too deep to see the bottom and around the water was bright green grass. No one was around which made the young girl happy, she had the whole place to herself. Taking a deep breath, Winnie took in the grassy smell before sitting down cross-legged, quite close to the water. 

Winnie began plucking some of the daisies around her, making them into a flower crown the way her Mother showed her. A sad smile formed on her face at the memory. Although she was only three when her mother died and Winnie couldn't remember a lot about her, she could distinctively remember making flower crowns with her.

Little did Winnie know, this spot was also one of the few places that a fellow classmate liked to come to with his best friend.

"Bucky, you've gone on and on about this girl for weeks now," Steve panted, the two were walking in a line, Bucky leading. "How come I've never met her?"

The Barnes boy used one of his hands to push the fallen pieces of hairs out of his face. "Because every time Wins and I hang out, it's mostly in school or at the library. Every time you can hang out, she can't. Listen, I promise you'll meet her."

"Are you scared I'll chase her off because of how skinny I am?"

James spun on his heel to look at his friend, "Are you kidding me? Of course not! If she doesn't like you because you're smaller than most boys then she can piss off for all I-" 

"Wait," the small boy cut him off, "Who's that?" Steve pointed behind Bucky a confused look forming on his face.

Nobody ever hung out down by the lake, it was like their own special hangout area.

Bucky turned around to look at what his friend was pointing at. His eyes widened. There she was. He didn't know she liked to be around here or that she even knew about it honestly.

"That's her," he mumbled to his friend, a smile appearing on his face, "That's, Winnie."

Bucky began to walk towards her, pushing the tall stay grass away so that he could get through. As he got arm length away, Bucky placed his hands on her shoulders saying, 'Hi, Winnie!' as he did so.