chapter xxvii

chapter xxvii.

"you're going to be okay, please be okay"

______

1943

The whole trip to the first HYDRA base, Winnie and Bucky hadn't said a word to one another. They were still both mad at each other because of their last conversation and were both way too stubborn to apologise.

Steve has asked her about it when she arrived at the truck upset and angry so she explained to him what had happened. Of course, Steve didn't want to get in the middle of things or take sides but he promised the girl that he would try to talk to Bucky.

But he hadn't had time to do so because as soon as they got to the base it was time to go.

"Right okay everyone, gather round," Steve called as he tried to do a speech. "From our last encounter with HYDRA, I think we can all agree that we need to be careful, look after each, what each other's back.

"If you see someone, double-check they are HYDRA and then shoot em'. You get hurt, hurt them back. You get killed, walk it off."

All of the men and Winnie let out a slight chuckle at the end before nodding their head's at the Star-Spangled man. Winnie, however, looked at him with pride.

From the first time she met him he had definitely grown up, both literally and figuratively. Before, he was this small, shy and anxious kid who would get beaten up if not every other day. And now, he was fighting for what he believes surrounded by people who want to do the same.

Winnie gave the Rogers man a proud smile as she smacked in a new magazine for her gun. Steve gifted the girl a smile in return, glad to have her with them.

"Everyone ready?" Steve asked with a smirk. Everyone yelled out a 'yeah' some throwing their hands up into the air and others high-fiving each other. "Great, now let's kick so ass!"

Just before Steve opened the door, Bucky turned to Winnie and squeezed her hand, which shocked the girl. "Stay close and, please, please don't get shot."

She didn't want to do what he asked but because it was the decent thing to do, Winnie nodded her head, not even smiling at him. The girl was still quite angry at him as I explained earlier.

It hurt the Barnes boy that she was still mad at him but he understood why. So he didn't press on her plus they were away to fight some Nazis so it probably wasn't the best time to express why he was sorry and how much he loved her.