chapter x

chapter x.

"don't go, please"

"don't go, please"

______

1936

TWO years had gone by since Winnie left home to go live with Bucky. Two years since she was free of the man who destroyed every bit of happiness that came her way and that was all thanks to Bucky.

Bucky told his Mother everything. Winnie breaking down at the library, her telling him everything about her Father, them going to get her stuff, him coming home, everything.

To say that Mrs Barnes was shocked would be an understatement, appalled at it would be a better word. She was never one for violence so to hear about how someone could so easily beat up their daughter astounded her.

Mrs Barnes felt incredibly bad for the girl, everything that she had gone through at such a young age, it truly saddened her. When she found out that she was in fact standing in the hallway alone, she hastily left the kitchen and went to go give her a hug, surprising the two teens.

She insisted that the Winnie came to stay with them for a while and let her get back on her feet. Winnie was very grateful for Mrs Barnes however she did make sure that she didn't want to be a problem with living with them but Mrs Barnes didn't care.

The sleepy arrangements were going to be a little bit difficult however. Winnie didn't mind where she slept, she ever offered to sleep on the couch but Mrs Barnes wouldn't have it. The next suggestion was that Winnie would sleep in the girls room alongside Bucky's sister but there wasn't enough room for them all in the one bedroom. There was even talk Winnie sleeping in Bucky's bed and he would sleep on the couch but the thought of Bucky having to sleep on the couch in his own home made Winnie feel awful.

They finally came to an agreement that Winnie would sleep in Bucky's room with Bucky but she would sleep in his bed and he would sleep on the floor (much to Winnie's dismay, she hated knowing that he would have to sleep on the floor in his own house). When they came to this proposal, Mrs Barnes made it very clear that she didn't want any 'monkey business' as she put it between the two which made both the teens go crimson red with embarrassment.

 Winnie promised that she would get a job as soon as possible to help pay out rent saying it was the least she could do to with everything that the Barnes family had given her and that was exactly what she did.

The White girl was able to land herself a job at a small market just down the street from the Barnes' apartment. The shopkeeper took pity on the girl and gave her the job. The pay was small but it did the job and she was able to keep a small percentage of the money for herself that she used for cinema tickets and for when she can afford her own apartment.