chapter xxiii

chapter xxiii.

"We have many

"We have many.. exciting tests to do!"

______

Bucky's eyes shot open, his body jolting into an upright position. Instantly after moving, the Barnes boy let out a loud groan because he moved too quickly making the headache he didn't know be had become more prominent.

After ignoring his headache - it took a lot of work because of how sore it was - the first thing that came to mind was Winnie. His eyes widened and he looked around his surroundings in search of the small brunette.

His panic washed away when his eyes caught hold of the girl laying on the ground, her back to him. He quickly pushed himself over to Winnie, using his hand to push her slightly to see her face. Sadly his panic only subsided for a few seconds until he saw the state she was in.

Her hair was all tangled and her face was sunken and grey. She looked so vulnerable, just like she had many times prior. He could feel his heart clench at the sight of her. He knew how much she had gone through and he felt like it was his fault that she was here, that maybe if he protected her better none of this would have happened.

The Barnes boy tried to shake her away, as much as he didn't want to. When she didn't wake, Bucky felt himself beginning to get anxious. He took his hand and placed two fingers on her neck, checking for a pulse. At the slight beat of her heart, he felt a small amount of weight off his shoulders, only a little bit because of how slow it was.

The next thing he thought about, which some could say should have been his first thought, was where the hell was he. The last thing Bucky could remember was jumping on top of Winnie to protect her from the blast.

He could only assume that they were taken by the axes as prisoners. Where though was the real question.

From looking around when he was looking for Winnie, he tens maybe a hundred men locked away in cells, much like his, either on the ground or standing up, looks of distraught on their faces. He recognised all of them. Each of them being soldiers from the 107th.

A few people were missing that Bucky hoped that they weren't dead and weren't captured like the rest of them.

Bucky noticed Gabe sitting in the cage opposite him and Winnie. His back was leaning against the cell bars, his head dipped down hiding in his arms. The man who was once so powerful and strong looked so defeated and weak.

I guess what they say is true, even the strong can be weak.

"Jones," the Barnes boy called.