chapter xviii

chapter xviii

"i promise, i will come back to you"

______

1943

The brunette girl tapped her foot in sync to the music that was being played on the jukebox somewhere over in the corner. Bonnie was off dancing with some random guy who found her hot and Bucky was over at the bar ordering drinks for them. So Winnie sat there at their table all alone.

She watched the people in the middle of the room danced, the room filled with laughter. A small smile tugged on her lips as she thought about the first time Bucky had taken her dancing. It was for their second official date and the two of them had gotten really drunk. She could remember them dancing until the owner had to kick them out. Oh, how times were simpler back then.

"Now what is someone that looks like you sitting all by your lonesome?" a masculine voice appeared behind her. 

Winnie whipped her head around to look at the person. It was a guy who had blond hair, similar to Steve's, that was styled to the side and dark brown eyes. He was just about the same height as Bucky maybe just a little bit smaller and wore a suit identical to the Barnes boy. He was good looking that was a definite but not as good as Bucky.

"Just waiting for someone to come back with some drinks," Winnie explained, a polite smile on her face.

She watched as the man nodded his head and smiled. His eyes scanned her outfit before going back up to her eyes. "I'm Johnny," he introduced himself, putting his hand out for her to shake.

"Winnie," the girl greeted putting her hand in his. She felt her face go red as Johnny lifted her hand up to his lips, kissing the back of her hand.

"What a beautiful name for a beautiful lady like yourself." Winnie giggled and blushed at the man. She wasn't doing anything wrong, he was the one flirting with her, not the other way round. "So is there a current Mister in your life or do you like to play hard to get?"

"The current Mister." 

The sound of Bucky's voice made Winnie spin in her chair. She noticed the slight smirk on his face, hinting that he was bragging about having someone like Winnie by his side. Johnny looked at the Barnes boy with an annoyed frown. It was obvious that he had wanted to have a dance or two with the White girl and with Bucky there, there was no way he was going to get that dance.

Johnny mumbled a goodbye to Winnie, turning around and disappearing into the crowd. The brunette watched him go and once he was out of eye-shot, she turned around to face Bucky who was now sitting down on one of the chairs. His smirk was still planted on his face and he had mocking look.