chapter vi

chapter vi.

"to the principle's office, now!"

______

1934

Winnie was sitting in class, exhausted as ever. She had her head in her hands and her eyes were lazily watching the teacher write something on the chalkboard, holding back a yawn. As much as she loved school and wanted to learn, she hated getting up in the morning. Definitely not a morning person. She rubbed her eyes with her hands and stifled a yawn, the White girl could feel herself falling asleep which would not be good seeing as her teacher would most likely give her detention or worse, the belt.

Winnie didn't get a lot of sleep last night, her Father had been screaming at her for hours, beating her and beating her. That morning she woke up with bruises all over her arms and stomach forcing her to wear a cardigan which was no problem seeing as the weather was getting a little bit colder.

Thankfully the White girl had one of her friends, Steve, to make sure that she didn't fall asleep. Before they went into class, Winnie had asked him to shake her arm every few minutes to check that she was still awake which he has been doing.

She could feel her eyelids starting to droop and soon her eyes were closed completely and her head was begging to fall out of her hands. Slowly but surely her head entirely fell out of her hands and it smacked hard against the table making a very loud bang, alerting the teacher. Winnie woke up instantly, sitting up straight as she took in a sharp breath, her eyes widening to the size of saucers.

The White girl glanced over to her left to look at Steve, their eyes locking together. Winnie could sense that her friend was also scared for what was going to happen, he too was totally afraid of Mrs Collins. They both knew how strict she was and how terrifying she could be when she got angry, and she was always angry at something. She was a short and plump woman who had bright red and curly hair. When she got angry, her face would turn as red like a tomato and it wouldn't surprise them if steam came whistling out of her ears.

"Who did that?!" she spoke harshly, her blue eyes narrowed and were darting around the class, interrogating every student in the classroom. Steve mouthed to the girl to not say anything, his chest rising and falling very quickly. He didn't want Winnie to get into trouble, especially from Mrs Collins who would not care at all.

Mrs Collins smacked her hands on her desk making the whole class jump in, as well as the items that were on the desk. I think it's safe to say that everyone was terrified of the woman. "If no one owns up to that loud bang then I'll just have to punish everyone," the teacher threatened.

Winnie didn't want to be that student that got everyone in trouble and it's not like she wouldn't get punished if she didn't own up to it, it was just whether or not she wanted to be that type of person. The girl took in a deep breath before raising her hand into the air. "I did it, Mrs Collins, but it was an accident, I didn't mean too-"