7: Preparation 101

- CATALINA E. SOLACE -

Since my last sightseeing of Italy we stayed in Venice for another two nights before ultimately returning to Miami.

Everything about Italy was amazing.
Except for Penelope bugging me all day about Luca.

Aside from that, I got to talk to Mateo for a bit and he wasn't as bad as I thought he would be.

Yes, he was tense, but I learned he was very philosophical, which created a bigger opening into our conversation.

"We should go out and get drinks!" Penelope proposed, propping herself on the kitchen counter. "Maybe even get laid. Ugh, I miss sex! Don't you?"

"I'm fine, with or without sex, Pen."

"Ok, but we should still go get drinks!"

No, we can't.
I can't.

I made a promise.

"I'm good," I shrugged, continuing to cut the tomatoes. "I'd rather stay home."

"Come on, it's our last day here, and there is this bomb ass bar right down the street!"

"I said NO, Penelope!" I yelled, accidentally making a loud noise with the kitchen knife — making Penelope flinch. "When I say no, it's no!"

Just breathe in and breathe out, Catalina.

You're ok.
He's not here.

He won't ever find you.
Never again.

There's no need to grab a drink anymore.

He can't hurt you.
You don't have to numb the pain anymore.

"God, do you always look this big?"

"I'm sorry, please don't get mad at me, please."

"You should be, I could've chosen anyone, but I chose you. Now you can't even lose a bit of weight!" He yelled out, harshly grabbing my wrists. "Lose the fucking weight, Catalina."

Just lose five more pounds, that's it.

Then he'll be happy.

I'll be happy.

We'll be happy.

"Ok?" Penelope said, arching a brow. "I'm sorry. We don't have to go out if you don't want to."

"Yeah, I don't."

- LUCA A. MARTINELLI -

3 Months Later

"Word got around," I began. "The Red Scorpions are planning to attack us during our next trade at the docks with the Spanish mafia."

Everyone kept quiet until Penelope spoke up.
"How exactly do you know this?"

"Mateo informed me." I vaguely answered.

"When?"

"Three months ago on our trip to Italy."

"And you've never bothered to mention this to us because?" Jaxon inquired.

"Because I can? Plus I'm always thinking of the next step, this is no different. There is a plan."

"Which is?" Penelope queried. "Hurry up, the anticipation is killing me."

"We'll let them." I responded, serving myself a glass of water. I'm not one to drink. I would hate to know that I'm not in control or in the right state of mind due to something stupid such as alcohol.