16: The Big Apple

- LEILA MARTINELLI -

Since I could understand the concept of good and bad, I knew which side my family was on.

Maybe I was the black sheep of my family, but I wanted nothing to do with the Martinelli business.

It's why I tend to be closer to my mom and her side of the family.

Can't say the same for my brother.

I love my brother, don't get me wrong. However, this life wasn't cut out for me, and I knew that early on. Unfortunately, my dad and brother tried hard to convince me otherwise, but as you can see, that didn't work.

Luca and I were close when I was younger, but this job fucked it up. With his newly found responsibilities and my uninterested ass, life pulled us apart.

It's the very reason why I left with my parents to move to Portugal and I've been content ever since.

My relationship with my brother has strained quite a bit, not to mention with our cousins, Penelope and Nathan. They're tight knit, I, on the other hand, have always been left out because of my age and interests. It's why I am closer to our other cousins, Emilio and Vanessa.

So when Luca told our parents and I that he had a girlfriend, we were shocked to say the very least. He's never been in many relationships because of his work, which is why I was even more shocked to hear that he wanted me to hang out with her and get to know her.

This girl must have him wrapped around her finger for him to be taken.

I guess his bachelor days are over, hopefully.

Honestly, I was expecting some rich, famous model or something of that sort, but I was in for a surprise.

A good surprise.

Not saying that she wasn't beautiful, but she didn't seem like the typical type my brother would go after, which did intrigue me in some way.
Even her personality was genuine. Most of the girls he would bring over were entitled brats.

It was refreshing.

Luca wanted me to have a 'girls day' as he liked to call it with Penelope and his girlfriend, who's name I've learned is Catalina. This little outing was so Catalina and I could bond and get to know each other.

Apparently, he had an urgent business meeting with Damien who is his assistant that helps him run the casinos to make sure everything is up and running smoothly. The casinos are only to cover up his shit with the mafia he's running.

Not to mention I've always disliked Damien. He has always made me feel uncomfortable. I've met him a couple of times when I would visit from Portugal and see him at events Luca would host or be invited to.

From what I know he has a fiancé named Lorein in which they have been together for about four to five years.

They share three teenage girls by the names of Adalyn, Brittany, and Peyton.
Brittany and Peyton are Damien's daughters from his previous marriage and Adalyn is from Lorein's previous marriage.

I've met Brittany and Peyton a couple of times since they always seem to accompany their parents, but I can't say the same thing for Adalyn.