10: The Solace Family

- CATALINA E. SOLACE -

I scoffed, rolling my eyes. "Please, Abigail, be my guest and entertain me."

"You are just as witty as your mother." Abigail chuckled sarcastically.

I knew I was pissing her off, but I didn't care. She was on my territory, not hers, so I could do whatever the fuck I pleased, even if it meant getting under her skin to which I was enjoying.

"Let me explain. I didn't know I had a younger sister up until five years ago. I grew up as an only child with just my mom by my side, kind of like you," Abigail depicted, rolling down her sleeves. It was pretty cold in here. Again, would it kill Luca to get a heater down here? "I guess we both ended up in the same hell hole, right?"

"Unlike you, I didn't have a father growing up, but I did know from a very young age that our biological father, Derek Solace, had left my mother when I was just an infant for some other woman," Abigail continued. "In this case it happened to be your mother, but I only figured that small detail out a few years ago."

She paused for a minute as we both exchanged glances before she broke the silence shared between us.

Thank God, it was getting awkward, more than what it already was.

"I found out who he settled with a few years ago and to my surprise they even had a daughter." She paused for another minute or two before crossing her arms and leaning forwards from her chair to face me even closer.

She grinned. "You, darling."

I didn't know how to respond. I mean how would you?
I've always been told my parents met in México and that was it. I never questioned it.

Not until now that is.

"What happened between our father and your mother?" I asked.

"Well from what I've researched and been told by my own mother, Derek lived in Monterrey, México with my mom and I. One day he was sent out to do a job in Pachuca, Mexico, which is where he met your mother and they fell in love." She described.

"He left my mother after that. Two years later, they had you. I'm only three years older than you, but like I said, I've only recently found out about you," she elaborated. "I was sixteen at the time I joined the Red Scorpions. Fortunately, the previous boss was like a father to me so when I turned eighteen the gang was mine, which is unheard of at this point, especially when it comes to women."

She unraveled. "Nevertheless, when I was around twenty one someone mentioned Derek had died a few years ago. I didn't even know he was dead and so I did a bit of my own digging. That's how I came to find out about you. You were only eighteen at the time I found out about your existence and I wasn't ready to meet you just yet. Nor ruin the perfect image of your superhero dad."

My mom would have known about Abigail's mother when she met our dad. Unless my dad never told her he was a taken man when they first met.

They were always close, so I highly doubt it.

"Don't you consider him your father too?" I questioned her. "You keep saying 'your' and not our father."

"No. After he left my mother, it was her and I from then on out."

"Derek may have been my biological father, but that's about it. A sperm donor to say the very least. He could have at least visited me on the holidays or something, but he chose not to. He clearly knew about my existence, yet he acted as if I was a complete stranger to him. He didn't give a fuck about me, so why should I?" Abigail asked rhetorically. "He decided to erase me from his life and focus on his perfect, little, pathetic family."