2: Escaping Reality

- LUCA A. MARTINELLI -

"Where is that little shit?" I asked, removing the gauze from my shoulder.

Penelope retorted, waving her hand at me — her eyes fixated on her phone. "He's in the usual."

"Shouldn't you leave that thing on?" Jaxon inquired, pointing to my gauze. "Dr. Conwell said to leave it on for at least twenty four hours."

"Did I ask for your input?" I rhetorically asked.

I went on, following his silence. "Move, I have to deal with the fucker on my own."

•••••

"I would say 'welcome back,' but you look like you want to bite my head off." Riley said as I made my way to her.

Handing me the firearm, she continued. "Last door down this hall to your right."

"Tell Nathan to meet me in my office in an hour." I instructed.

"Of course, boss."

•••••

"Why don't you save us the trouble, Donovan? We already know it's you telling that's telling Killian everything," I asked, walking in circles around him to add to the dramatic flair. I'll admit, it was fun to see him squirm.

Donovan smirked, his mouth filled with his own blood.
I'm presuming Jaxon had his fun with him before I even arrived.

"Now, why would I do that? You'll know when the time comes," Donovan explained. "You've underestimated this person for way too long. Im not the only one and I'm definitely not the villain in this story."

I clenched my fists, glaring at him. "I don't have the time nor the patience to listen to your stupid shenanigans. I won't ask again, if I were you I would say who."

"Start talking."

His eyes widened in horror. Surprisingly, they didn't pop out of their eye sockets.

"You know what? I don't care anymore," I chuckled. "Does this hurt?"

"What hurts?" Donovan timidly asked before noticing.

Loading the gun in my hand, I fire a bullet into his leg. "This, obviously."

"Don't be such a pussy, it's only your leg. Take it like a champ, bud. I'm rooting for you."

Listening to agony was nothing new. Seriously — it was a joke to how low his pain endurance was.

Donovan snarled. "Go to hell, Martinelli!"

I shrugged. "Oh, I guess I'll be seeing you there, but as for now, this is our farewell."

Letting those words leave my mouth the last image I would have of Donovan would be his dead corpse.

Making sure he was gone — for good, I relaxed. I didn't need him reappearing like in the movies.

Call me crazy, but seeing the blood running down Donovan's dead body woke something in me.

Adrenaline?

Excitement?

I don't know.
I can't place my finger on it just yet.

- CATALINA E. SOLACE -

As I woke up, my head began to pound.
Fuck my headache.

Where even am I?

In a room, duh.
Read the room, lady.

Right.
But why the fuck am I hear is the question?

I don't know. Why don't we ask our kidnapper?

Great idea! I'll just walk up to them and they'll give me an answer. Maybe they'll even let us go with a bag of lollipops.

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine?

Same could be said about you.

I'm your fucking conscious!

Quickly analyzing the room, I remembered the previous events that took place, which took place at the cafe during my lunch break.

"Shit." I grimaced, rubbing my head as the pain worsened.

Clearing my view, I took in the large room I was in at a closer proximity.

White walls and a brown wooden floor. Not to mention the windows clearly showed I was on the fourth floor.

Maybe we can escape through the window? Like Spiderman.

Omg yes! Let me just break a rib real quick.

Noticing the door was wide open, my natural instincts kicked in.

I made a run for it.

Not the best idea in my case.

It was a stupid idea on my part because as soon as I was about to make an exit, the same guy that was last seen with Donovan stood in front of me.

Haven't you paid attention to the movies? There is always someone guarding the door.

Be quiet!

You wouldn't function without me.

Yeah? Well... I don't know.

Ha!

He grinned. "Where are you going, emerald?"

Outside, loser. Obviously.

Exactly, doesn't he understand that?

Apparently not.