8: Bounding Consequences

- CATALINA E. SOLACE -

"I only came to grab a snack," I yelled out, trying to find an escape. "I swear!"

"Who are you?" The red head asked.

Before this fucking mess, my ass wanted a sandwich, but then red head over here saw me and pulled out a gun on me.

When did she have the time to pull that thing out?

How the hell am I suppose to know?

Hey, in my defense, that's eyes' job.

Firing a bullet to the photo frame hanging right beside me — almost hitting my face, she went on. "The next one won't miss your pretty little face."

"Aww! You think my face is pretty?" I smiled. "By the way, love your hair!"

She beamed. "Aww, really? I have a hard time growing it out."

"Wait, wha-"

Not giving her time to process the situation, I landed a kick to her ribs, followed by a swift punch to her nose, which left her groaning in pain on the floor.

Priorities were straight.

From the very beginning I was thinking of an escape route. I have made it a habit since my father's passing.

It gives me a sense of peace as it lets me know I'm in control of the situation.

You're a control freak.

Yeah, I know.

Should I yell for help or not?

Yes.

No.

Yes.

No

"What is going on in here?" Luca shouted as he glanced between me and this woman. "Riley?"

Even though I was a tad bit happy to see him, I had to remind myself that I was the one above this woman, who I'm presuming is Riley, while she laid on the floor with a broken nose.

This doesn't look good on your end.

"I can explain." I blurted out, moving away from Riley.

Penelope chuckled. "This is going to be fun to watch."

"Look, I didn't know she was an authorized visitor. I thought she was an intruder." Riley justified herself, covering her bloody nose.

Grimacing, the pain in her ribs was evident.

"She doesn't even look like a threat, Riles," Jaxon commented. "She looks twelve."

Well thank you Jaxon.
Fortunately, Penelope slapped the back of his neck.

Ha!

"Shut up, Jax," Penelope scolded Jaxon. "You are not helping."

"Have you not seen me?" Riley spoke up, uncovering her bloody nose.

"Yikes!" Penelope, Jaxon, Nathan, and Luca said in unison as they all wore a disgusted look.

"I thought that too, but Luca, I swear I didn't know she was staying with you." Riley said again.

"Riley, a word, now." Luca said, walking towards his office.

Jaxon shrugged. "At least you didn't die."

"Yeah, but the same thing can't be said about poor Riles," Penelope trailed off, glancing over at Riley. "And she's the one that got hurt."

"What do you mean?" I asked. "It was a simple mistake. It happens."

"I thought we talked about this. Luca doesn't give a shit," Penelope explained. "He's a fucking psycho when it comes to the job."

"Did I fail to mention that he killed a recruit after he missed a shot with a target? He was only with us for a week. A week!" Penelope continued.

"We have to help her then," I said pretty loudly that it echoed. "It's my fault. We have to go in there and help her. Even though what I just said sounded very dramatic."

"Then we'll get into trouble," Penelope interjected, looking baffled. "Look I bother that idiot a lot, but we shouldn't interfere. Think of this in a more logical matter."

"This isn't up for a discussion, I'm going in. I know I sound foolish, asking for a death wish, but we have to go help her."

"You're stupid but-" Penelope spoke.

"Have a good heart." Jaxon cut in.

Letting out a deep sigh, Penelope sarcastically added. "Yet, suicidal, but let's focus on the positive aspects of this incident."

"Let's go before Pen and I regret this. And drop the clenched fist, will ya? I'm completely and utterly terrified of you right now." Jaxon said before we ran up to Luca's office.

- LUCA A. MARTINELLI -

"What was that?"

"I'm sorry, boss. I didn't know." Riley hesitantly explained.

"Luca?" A soft voice said coming from the entrance.

Turning to face the entrance I was expecting it to be Penelope, but to my surprise it was Catalina.

"Emerald, please leave, alright?" I said, not trying to anger her. Knowing she had a bad temper, I didn't feel like arguing with her today.

"I can't, not when you may want to kill her," she confessed, maintaining eye contact. "She was simply doing her job."

She went on as she walked towards an armchair and sat herself down. "So if you feel like pulling the trigger, I'm right here."

"I am the reason she's sitting over there with a broken nose," she glanced over at Riley, "I'm sorry about the nose... and the ribs."

She looked back at me tapping her fingers on the arms rest before saying, "So?"

To say I was taken aback by her statement was an understatement.

No shit sherlock.

It felt strangely comforting to know that she would defend someone even if she was caught in the middle of the crossfire.

Then again, she is a lawyer.
She can drill you down if she wanted to.

Aside from the occasional advice I would receive from Penelope, Nathan, or Jaxon, I made the final call.

"Riley you can go. So can you two." I instructed in which they all followed, including Catalina.

"Where do you think you're going?" I asked. "I'm not done with you."

"You sound like my high school teachers, but I'm still leaving, Mr. Martinelli."

"Like I said, I didn't tell you to leave."

"And like I said, I don't care," she said. "Now if you don't mind, I have to go meet up with Jaxon and Penelope."

And just like that, she was gone.

As soon as she left I was left alone to recollect my thoughts. A rush of emotions that I've been trying to keep bottled in were soon starting to creep in.

Anxiousness.

A feeling I haven't felt in years ever since the kidnapping of Penelope when she was around fifteen, but the real question is why all of the sudden do I feel this way?

Getting up, I walked over to the shelves that stood a few feet away from my desk.
I know, I'm not a drinker, but when I'm stressed I become one.

Pouring myself some whiskey before gulping it down, I continued to analyze my situation.

This was definitely going to be a long night.