Chapter 14: Just For Fun

Aoba Johsai POV

When the team asked Oikawa and Iwaizumi where they had planned on going they said they hadn't decided yet, but soon realized their mistake. The team demanded that they go to karaoke, and without them agreeing, dragged Hinata along with them. Matsukawa and Hanamaki clinging tightly to the ginger, having noticed that Iwaizumi and Oikawa on edge each time someone asked him something, they found it amusing and decided to have fun with it.

"Say Hinata" Hanamaki said slinging his arm around the smallest shoulder, noticing how Oikawa stared daggers at him from across the room "how about we sing a duet together?"

"Oh uh...i'm not good at singing, so I would rather just watch." Hinata nervously responded.

"Matsukawa did you hear that?" Hanamaki said to his friend on the other side of Hinata "Hinata just wants to watch" Hanamaki made sure to say it loudly so the whole team would hear.

And when they did they all went into a fit of saying he had to participate, thrusting a mic in his hand and forcing him to the front of the room. They weren't taking no for an answer. Hinata gave in and sang the song they picked, he wasn't that bad, when he finished they clapped and he retreated back to his seat. They all took turns singing, talking and eating between songs. And to both Iwazumi's and Oikawa's surprise they didn't ask any real questions to Hinata about him changing schools and not playing volleyball, that is until they were about to leave.

"Hinata we don't have practice tomorrow but some of us are still getting together to play a game for fun, why don't you come?" Kunimi asked.

"Oh uh well...." Hinata was trying to come up with something to say, and they watched as he stuttered. "I'm not really interested in playing volleyball right now." He finally managed

"You don't have to play, you could just come and hang out." Matasukawa said "Just think about t okay?" When Hinata nodded, they took it as good enough, and all started to leave.

Hinata POV

I was surprised when they didn't ask me questions, surprised and happy. But the real shock came when they invited me to play volleyball, they weren't trying to force me to join the club, just a friendly invite to play a game for fun. And it was the first time in a while I felt like saying yes to playing volleyball.

The Next Day

Oikawa POV

"Are you sure Hinata?" I asked for the third time that day, we were standing outside the gym door. "You don't have to play just because they invited you."

"I know." Hinata said, smiling slightly.

This morning when Iwazumi and I picked him up he told us that he thought about playing volleyball with them after school. When we asked why he said that since it was just for fun he thought he'd accept, that he wanted to play just for fun. We made it a point to ask multiple times on our way over, giving him the chance to back out, but he always said yes that he was sure. So opening the gym door we went in. Hinata changed in the bathroom, not wanting others to see all the marks on him, and came out in his gym clothes, a long sleeve t-shirt under them. The team looked like they were gonna ask but decided not to, probably from the look Iwazumi gave them.

We started picking teams, only having enough for a five on five since a few people didn't come. Iwazumi and I had the two first year volleyball team members (Kindaichi and Kunimi) plus Hinata. Yahaba, was the setter for the other team, and had Matsukawa, Hanamaki, Watari, and Kyotani.

Hinata POV

It was a little off at first, I hadn't ever played with any of them, so it took some time for us to sync up. We lost the first set by five, having just gotten into a rhythm by the end of it, and had won the second with a bit of a struggle.

"Its okay we can take the third set and win!" Oikawa said confidently, setting a hand on my shoulder. I was sitting down, man was I out of shape, I can't believe I thought not practicing for months and then just playing would be so easy. And it was hot. I wished I could take off this stupid long sleeve shirt, but if I did they would see my cut marks.

"You okay Chibi-chan?" Oikawa asked next to me.

"Yeah..." I said a little breathless.

"How long has it been since you played?" Kindaichi asked

"Couple of months" they nodded their heads at my words

We went back to playing after that. Scoring against each other point for point. Neither side gave up. We reached into our thirties.

"Hinata!" Oikawa called ending the ball to me, I jumped and slammed the ball domn, only for it to be dug up by Matsukawa. Yahaba set up Hanamaki who did a faint, but Iwazumi reached it barely in time. Oikawa set me up again. I saw the wall in front of me, then as if calling to me, I saw the opening. At the back of the court, I hit the ball and sent it flying to that exact point. It hit the floor with a thud and I landed, looking at my red palm, as my team yelled excitedly. It felt good, I hadn't felt that great spiking in a long time.

Oikawa POV

Hinata had just landed when he looked at his palm, a hard look on his face. I'd seen him do it before in games, after hitting a spike, he'd just stare at his hand. Kindaichi and Kunimi didn't notice how concentrated he was, they just ran over slapping him on the back and talking excitedly. They were soon joined by the others, having snapped Hinata out of his thoughts, they talked about different things from the game. Hinata was smiling and waving his hands around while he talked.

"Iwa-chan what do you think Hinata thinks about when he's looking at his palm like that?" I asked, he was a spiker maybe he would know.

"I'm not sure, but it's normally after a really good spike so maybe he's thinking about how well it went." I nodded at his answer, it seemed likely enough but who knew.

"Oikawa that set was so awesome, it came straight to me!" HInata said as soon as we walked over, everyone looked at him, kinda shocked even me. Hinata had called me "What's wrong?" He asked when he noticed our stars.

"Nothings wrong." I said smiling. "And talk about awesome, how about your last spike!" Hinata turned red slightly and I couldn't help but find it cute.

"T-thanks!" he yelped at my praise, I guess it was a little different from last time we stood on a court together, considering last time we had been adversaries.