Chapter 1 : Hello New York

"-thank you for flying with us, flight attendance please prepare the Captain for landing", have we arrived ? I rose up from my seat and rubbed the crust off the corners of my eyes,I looked out the window as the plane got near the ground. After a smooth landing, we were then escorted out of the plane.If I'd have to rate that plane ride, I definitely would give it 5 stars. The moment I stepped out the plane,a cold breeze hit me in the face.We exited the plane and I went to fetch my bags and left the airport.

Yikes! I didn't even introduce myself, pardon me. My name is Amanda Gaffley, I am 24 years old

 i am the 2nd of my parents's 4 kids, 3 girls and 1 boy

i am the 2nd of my parents's 4 kids, 3 girls and 1 boy.My Dad works as a Police man and my mom works as a domestic worker(nanny),We were not really privileged but my parents always managed to make ends meet.My older brother,Maps is a professional photographer with a wife and two beautiful kids,my 2 sisters who come after me are both in high school,Sindi and Lisa, me? Well I am a Human Resources Management graduate, I got my degree 2 years back but only decided to work this year because my brain needed a break but mainly because I applied for an internship here at the US so I was waiting for a reply THE WHOLE FRICKEN YEAR!! so after what felt like forever,the company which I applied for an internship at finally sent me an email back telling me to come for an interview in 6 days and they flew me to the US but I had to accommodate myself. I am so grateful for this opportunity, it's as if my prayers were finally being answered. I am scared but yet excited about this new journey I'm about to embark in.

The cab took me to the apartment I was supposed to be staying at, which was in Queens. We arrived and I paid the driver, thanked him and got out of the cab. I stood outside the building and took a deep breath before walking up the stairs leading to the door. Once inside a tall, dark grownish man with dreads greeted me,judging by the voice, he must be the landlord because I spoke to him over the phone.

"I hope you enjoy your stay Mrs Gaffley, here are the keys to your apartment" he said with a smile on his face.

"Thank you Mr Smith! but it's Ms not Mrs, I'm too young to be married now" I replied with a small chuckle,tucking the key into my coat's pocket.

"My apologies Ma'am" I waved him off and offered him a smile, assuring him that it was fine.

After our small talk, me and Mr Smith went our separate ways. I walked up the stairs to the second floor, where my apartment was located. I reached my apartment door and took the keys out of my pocket and opened the door,the room was already furnished for me and it looked cute. I had sent Mrs Smith the money last week already to furnish the apartment for me since I wouldn't have time to do so when I got here. I'll remember to thank her when I see her because she did a good job. It was small but cosy and warm.

After admiring the apartment I unpacked my clothes and shoes.After that I changed into a simple jeans and t-shirt and exited my apartment, I needed to buy something to eat and explore a little. I walked out the building into the streets of Queens.

I finally came upon a hot wings "joint" and I ordered 7 wings,curly fries and a large Coca Cola, your girl was starving.My order finally got called so I fetched it and sat at one of their booths and ate.

"Can I sit here?" I looked up from my food to see a girl with long lashes, Woah! how can she see through those things? I mean, I wouldn't.

"Excuse me?!" her voice brought me back to life, she looked down at me with her big eyes with her food in her hand,waiting for my response

"Oh uhm... Sorry, you can sit" i replied, she sat down and ate her food. We ate in silence until she broke it

"My name is De'arra but you can call me D, what's your name? And where are you from because clearly you're not from here, you have that Wakanda accent. You're from Africa or som'?" she said while dipping her fry in what I'm assuming is mustard before looking at me.

"I'm Amanda, and yes I'm not from here, I just landed here from South Africa" I replied with a small chuckle while looking at her.

"Wow! Well welcome to New York and I love your accent by the way" she said and then drank her drink.

"Thank you and I love yours,it's... different " I replied with a smile on my face.

She laughed and stood up with her trash and said "It was nice meeting you girl but I have to leave, I hope to see you around".

"Nice meeting you too and I also hope to see you around" I waved at her as she turned to leave.

I finished my food and threw my trash in the bin on my way out and walked back to my apartment. Today has been productive!

A/N

Hey guys ❤️ thank you giving my story a chance, I appreciate each and every one of you. Please vote and comment, I would be thrilled to hear from y'all. Thank youuuuuu.

🧚🏾‍♀️