four

"Fayette!" Fayette heard her brother, Andre, yell.

"Here we go again," Fayette mumbled to herself. Just then, Andre burst into her room, wearing an obnoxious hat.

"What the fuck is that?" Fayette asked him, laughing.

"A hat. But that's besides the point, you're going out," Andre told her.

"Where and why?" Fayette wondered.

"Stanley's," He answered.

"Why?" Fayette asked again.

"The squad's coming over and if you're here, then Gabriel will be all over you," Andre told her. Andre and Fayette always had a close relationship. If you were to see them on the street, you'd probably think they were best friends or something along those lines. They never acted like siblings, but rather friends. But, they were still protective of each other, especially over their little sister, Isadora. Andre knew that his friend, Gabriel, had a thing for Fayette, and he didn't want her around him.

"Andre, I can stay in my room," Fayette said.

"He knows where your room is. Call Eulalie and go to Stanley's," Andre told her.

"Fine, fine. When should I be home?"

"Mom gets home at 1, so be back by 12:30 at the latest, but no earlier than 12."

"Got it, now get out," Fayette said. Andre walked out and Fayette threw on a hoodie before grabbing her purse and leaving. On her way out, she called her best friend, Eulalie, and told her to go to their local cafe, Stanley's.

Fayette never liked driving or talking an Uber, she walked pretty much everywhere. Even though it was 8 p.m. on a Friday, Fayette still chose to walk the 2 miles to the cafe. The cold, autumn breeze hit her face like ice. She shivered at the feeling and stuffed her hands deeper into her pockets. A little while after, the bright lights that illuminated the sign in front of the coffee shop came into view and Fayette knew she had arrived. Upon further inspection, Eulalie was already inside. Fayette jogged up to the entrance and walked inside. The door chimed, signalling a customer had walked in.

"Bonsoir, Fayette!" A barista named Anne said. Fayette spent a lot of time here, so all the employees knew her fairly well.

"Bonjour, Anne," Fayette replied before making her way to Eulalie.

"Salut, mon amie!" Eulalie said, getting up and hugging her Fayette.

"Salut, fille!" Fayette responded, hugging her friend back.

"So, anything new happen?" Eulalie asked as they sat down in a booth beside a large window that looked out onto the street.

"Not much that I can think of," Fayette answered, "What about you?"

"Well, I met this cute girl at school yesterday, and we're going on a date to the art museum on Sunday," Eulalie replied.

"No way!" Fayette cheered.

"I know, right! It felt so surreal when I asked her and then she actually said yes!" Eulalie told Fayette.

"Wait! Now that I think about it, something did happen!" Fayette remembered.

"OOH! What?!" Eulalie asked.

"This guy accidentally texted me on Wednesday," Fayette told her.

"Okay?" Eulalie asked, wanting Fayette to continue.

"And then we started talking, and he's actually really nice. We became friends but we never sent a pic of what we look like."

"Why the hell wouldn't you send a pic!?"

"We want to just get to know each other first, then we'll send a picture," Fayette explained.

"If you end up dead in an alley, just know that I warned you," Eulalie said.

"Don't worry, I trust him."

"If you say so."