fifty three

Fayette was in a cab on her way to her family's house when she got a call from Jack. She assumed it was about all the comments on her latest post. The driver pulled up to her street, so she paid and got out before answering the call.

"Hey Jack," Fayette answered, placing the phone to her ear.

"Hey, so I know this is a little early, but people are starting to piece things together," Jack said.

"Yeah, do you wanna do something about it?" Faye asked.

"Not exactly, how does another date sound?" Jack asked as Fayette walked up to her family's door.

"That sounds lovely," Fayette responded, smiling like an idiot.

"I'll see you tonight, then?" Jack wondered.

"Of course," Faye said before saying goodbye and hanging up. She put her keys into the lock, but before she could turn them, the door swung open to reveal her younger sister.

Isadora squealed and hugged Fayette, rocking back and forth a little. Faye laughed and the second they pulled away, Isadora grabbed Faye's hand and dragged her through the house up to her room.

"Sit, now," Isaodra instructed, pointing to her small sofa against her wall. Faye sat down, but Isadora stayed standing.

"I need your advice," Isadora said.

"On what?" Faye wondered.

"I like this boy, he's in my history class, and I wanna ask him out," Isadora explained.

"Breaking gender norms I see," Faye praised.

"Yeah yeah. Well, I overheard him say that he likes me, so I just thought I'd save us both the trouble and ask him out already," Isadora said.

"Okay, so what do you need help with?" Fayette asked.

"Well, I've been stalking your Instagram and you and Jack are obviously going out. So, basically I was wondering if you could help me figure something out," Isadora told her.

"First of all, me and Jack aren't going out. Secondly, just walk up to him when he's alone, and ask him," Fayette said.

"Okay, I'll ask him at school tomorrow," Isadora replied, "Thanks, Faye."

"No problem. Now, I have a date tonight, you wanna help me get ready after dinner?" Faye asked.

"Of course!" Isadora said.

✶✶✶

After a fun day with her family, Faye and Isadora went back to Fayette's place to get ready. Faye knew Jack well enough to know that he adored his family, especially his little sister, Isla. Isadora never had a normal childhood, she was in the gifted classes and spent everyday after school at dance class. Faye, wanting to let Isadora have a break from the pressure of being a young teen, decided that introducing Isadora to someone who is as caring as Jack might be nice. So, when Faye asked Isadora to help her get ready, she really just wanted an excuse to get her sister to come over to her apartment. Isadora hadn't seen Faye's new place yet, either. Fayette could see her sister was very eager to see her house, so she quickly unlocked the door and let her sister in.

"Woah," Isadora breathed out when she walked in, "It's so pretty."

"Thanks," Faye replied. She walked into her bedroom to look for an outfit. Faye changed into something a little more date appropriate and then waited for Isadora to finish exploring the apartment.

"The view is so ni- Hey, I thought I was gonna get you ready?" Isadora said as she entered Faye's room.

"Yeah, about that. I lied. I was thinking that maybe you could meet Jack," Fayette said.

"Meet him? Meet the guy who has made you the happiest you've ever been in the nineteen years you've been alive?" Isadora wondered.

"Well that's a bit of a stretch, but yeah," Fayette shrugged, "You don't have to if you don't want to. I texted him about it and he said that he'd love to meet you."

"I'd love to meet him, are you crazy!? I've wanted to meet him since the day I went through your phone and found out that you met this guy!"

"Okay, well then go brush your hair and I'll get everything set up before he calls," Faye instructed. Isadora left to clean herself up and Fayette got her computer set up.

"I'm ready," Isadora announced as she walked back into Fayette's room. By the time Isadora had sat down on Faye's bed, Jack had called. Fayette answered and saw Jack's face come into view.

"Hey!" Jack said, smiling at the two girls.

"Hi, Jack. Like I said before, this is my little sister, Isadora. Isadora, this is Jack," Fayette said, introducing the two.

"Hey, Isadora," Jack greeted.

"Hi," Isadora replied.

"Shit, Eulalie and Cat need me for a sec," Faye said, looking at her phone, "You guys can get to know each other for a bit."

Fayette stood up and left the room to call her friends, leaving Jack and Isadora alone.

"So, what do you like to do, Isadora?" Jack asked.

"I like dancing, but my parents are very strict about my dance classes so it kinda takes the fun out of it," Isadora replied, "What do you like to do?"

Jack smiled at the girl on the screen. Her accent wasn't as prominent as Faye's, but her voice was sweet and that let the accent shine through a little more, "I like singing and skateboarding," Jack answered.

"I wish I could skateboard or bike around here. The streets are always so busy and there's no where to have any fun. The parks here are just big gardens," Isadora complained.

"Maybe one day you can come to LA and see the parks. We've got tons of space to bike around here," Jack said.

"That'd be fun," Isadora replied. She looked down, but looked back up almost immediately after. If this boy was going to be in her sister's life, she wanted to make sure he wasn't another Miles. Isadora never liked Miles, but she didn't have any way of proving that he was a bad person.

"I have some questions for you," Isadora said, getting a little authoritative.

"Shoot," Jack said, leaning back and waiting for Isadora's questions.

"What colour are Fayette's eyes?" Isadora said.

"Well, I think they look like honey and maple. Like, if you really pay attention, you can see that they're golden and practically glowing. But, most people would just say brown," Jack answered, not daring to look at Isadora in case she noticed the heavy blush that had appeared on his cheeks. He just answered, not thinking. He knew that Isadora was sure to be weirded out by his answer. But, to his surprise when he looked back at the young girl, she was smiling, but also looking very shocked.

"No one has ever said that. Everyone always says brown, no one ever cares to really look at her. I think we're gonna get along great," Isadora told him. Jack laughed at her statement and then nodded his head.

"I think we are."

"Okay, I'm back. Sorry about that," Fayette apologized as she sat back down.

"It's fine, Isadora and I were just getting to know each other a bit," Jack said.

"Oh please, call me Izzy."