I Just Want To Be Loved

prompt: “i just want to be loved. i deserve to be loved!” gender neutral!reader finds out their partner has been cheating on them for months and confides in their demonic friend. (line from supernatural)

warnings: panic attacks, adultery

requests are open!

They’d been in this position too many times, sleeping on their side of the bed with the other neatly made up. He never came around during the night much anymore, he didn’t make an effort to show up unless he was asked to come around. They had grown used to it, however it got tiring just waiting restlessly for someone to wrap their arms around them and lull them into a false sense of security for just one night.

This had been going on for months, constantly waiting till ungodly hours for him to come back. Sometimes he’d be back before the sun came up, but other times he slipped in when he thought that they were asleep and then acted as if he had been there the whole night. Of course, they had never confronted him in the fear that he would just leave them like everyone else did. It seemed as if no one cared about them.

Were they unlovable? Was there something that they had done to make the man they loved hate them so much that he didn’t even say ‘I love you’ anymore?

A feeling of worry washed over them in a wave, beginning to wonder where he had been all this time. Of course, there was one main suspicion but they didn’t want to believe it. This one had to be different, didn’t he? Out of all the others, this one had stayed the longest even after seeing how emotionally beat down they were. After being treated like garbage all of their life by everyone going in and out of it, they were just tired of being left alone.

There was a small voice in the back of their head, telling them to call him. They opened their phone, flicking through the page of apps until they found SnapChat. Hesitantly, they clicked and found their boyfriend’s story.

Electronic music blasted through the speaker and neon lights beamed in their eyes despite being on minimal brightness. He was grinding against some girl, her neck angled so they could make out while someone else had recorded it. A squeak of sadness left their mouth and they let out a small sob, curling their legs up to their chest.

There was a part of them that had been anticipating this for a long while now. Of course he didn’t love them, who were they kidding? He didn’t even say it, didn’t try to make them believe it, but they still clung desperately to the hope that someone did. They deserved to be loved, did they not? At this point, they were quite sure that no one was willing to give them the love they so desperately wanted and deserved. After being through hell and back in relationships to make things work, no one ever stayed around. No one gave them a second glance when they told them that they weren’t what they wanted.

Shakily, they picked their phone back up and went to his contact. Trembling fingers typed out: I’m sorry I wasn’t everything you wanted.

It was weak. They were weak. So beaten down mentally and horrifically exhausted with the weight of the word resting on their shoulders all while they just wanted to keep everything together. All they wanted was to just shut down, lock themselves in their room and sob for hours on end. Of course, they knew that this time it would lead to something they might have regretted.

So they called someone who was as emotionless as they craved to be.

“Y/N? It’s late, what are you doing up?” the deep voice seemed to wrap around their body, making them relax for the first time in a while.

“They always leave,” Y/N sputtered, tears freely flowing from their bloodshot eyes and all feeling of relaxation being thrown out of their thoughts, “please come over. I don’t want to- I can’t- I can’t be alone, Dark. Please.”

Before they could even blink, a demonic presence was in front of them. There was an aura of dark red around the figure, irises glowing a lighter shade of red that poured into Y/N’s soul and made them feel even weaker than they had originally been. Without even thinking, they practically flung themselves into the unwelcoming arms of the only person who hadn’t left once they had seen Y/N at their worst.

“I’ll take care of him,” he promised, the ominous tone in his speech didn’t leave much to the imagination of the fate of Y/N’s unfaithful partner.

“I don’t care about him,” their voice cracked, betraying the wall that they were so desperately trying to build, “it’s never about them. I just wanna be loved.”

“What?” this man, Dark, had never felt love. He wasn’t a man, he was a demonic entity that Y/N had discovered one day. They didn’t remember where, didn’t remember when, but ever since, he had always been there. Though he did not feel the same way they did, it gave him room to help them through their problems.

Even someone with no emotions, such as himself, wasn’t prepared for the heartbreaking wail that escaped Y/N.

“I just want to be loved,” they sobbed, before screaming out with the last bit of energy that they had as they pounded their fists against Dark’s chest, “I deserve to be loved!” Echoing cries filled the house as Y/N finally broke down with absolutely everything they had. Dark just held his arms around them, waiting for them to calm down before he consoled them, until he heard gasping breaths.

Y/N couldn’t breathe, so much energy spent crying that they just couldn’t get a breath in. They had collapsed onto the ground, slipping from Dark’s faltering grip as they wrapped their arms around their legs and rocked back and forth. That same hard pressure was weighing down on their shoulders and they just couldn’t breathe, nothing seemed to make sense. Y/N felt dizzy, like they were slowly going under.

Dark dropped down beginning to rub their back and quietly humming a deep tone to see if he could get Y/N to focus on something other than crying. Tears were still falling from their face as they struggled to get oxygen in. He had never felt anything other than anger previous to this experience, however now he was getting a mix of something new. Fear. Typically, Dark was the one making mortals tremble at the sight of his shadow, but now he was scared that the only person he could speak to was going to pass out or get hurt.

“Y/N, please, look at me,” he begged, putting a calloused hand onto their cheek and locking his own eyes with their tear filled ones, “breathe in through your mouth. Deep breaths with me… one, two, three, four…” Dark inhaled deeply, before exhaling slowly.

It felt like an eternity before Y/N had a handle on their breathing, however they looked just as broken and sad as they had before.

“I just want to be loved,” they repeated, collapsing into Dark’s arms.

“You are loved, I promise you,” he whispered, still rubbing Y/N’s back.

“How would you know?” Y/N sniffled, their trembling body being enveloped in the warmth radiating off of him.

“You make me feel things, Y/N. Not always good things, but you made me angry. And you make me scared. You make me anxious and sad. You make me happy in a way I’ve never felt before. I didn’t know I could have these feelings, and I don’t know how to love, but I think I know how it feels,” Dark took a breath, pressing his forehead against Y/N’s, “and I think I know that if no one else loves you, I do.”

And Y/N couldn’t kiss him, they were far too scared that if they made a single move that this would all shatter in front of them and they would be left with the terrifying reality of loneliness and loveless nights, so they just stayed still.

“I think I love you too,” and then they closed their eyes, praying to whatever God there was that this one wouldn’t leave too.