15 - Kova Meets His Mate

*Elowen*

Elowen  made sure she found Lucian after his poisonous plants class knowing that he and Reyna were on opposite ends of the academy. This would be the only time she could talk to him without her around.

"Lucian, can I talk to you?" She asked catching him as he walked out of the classroom.

"Sure, what's going on?" He asked as she pulled him into an empty classroom closing the door.

"Please don't get offended by this, but is Reyna your mate?"

His eyes grew wide and a blush stained his cheeks,"How...how did you know?"

"That night you killed the parasite that attacked her, the way your demon held her. It wasn't the way a familiar would comfort its witch. It was primal. Then Reyna said the parasite muted her powers and her connection to you. At first I thought it was a coincidence, but the way you act with her, the way you are together, it's not normal for a VonUmbra to act like that with someone he isn't meant for. So I just put it together, but that's not possible right? She's a witch and you're a demon, a VonUmbra it's...it's not possible." Elowen breathed.

Lucian laughed and shrugged his shoulders, "I don't know, I have to talk to my father about it. Please don't say anything to anyone, not even Reyna. She hasn't figured it out yet." He sighed.

"I won't say anything, I'm honestly fascinated by this. Reyna must have a demon," she mumbled, staring off into space, "listen--if you need anything, like research I'll be more than happy to help you. I can see if there have ever been any witch-demon couplings."

"Thank you Elowen, I might take you up on that offer."

"No problem and don't worry, I'm sure Reyna will realize it soon. I think her mind is clouded by the fact that you're her familiar and she feels like her feelings for you are wrong because you have a mate."

"I know but I've hinted so many times that she's my mate. I can feel her demon reaching for mine but she doesn't realize it's her," He sighed, "I don't know what else to do, I can't just tell her. She has to see it for herself."

She nodded, tapping her finger to her chin in thought, "Well her demon came out when you were threatened, maybe you should try pushing her a bit harder. You two are sparring without using your familiar connection, why don't you do it then? It might spark her senses."

He gave her a bright smile, "You're a genius, Elowen. I'll give it a try."

*Reyna*

Reyna followed Lucian out to an open field near the academy. They've become accustomed to practicing magic under the full moon and practicing survival combat, as Lucian calls it, on the nights there isn't a full moon.

She *hates* it. He's already insufferable when she's in combat class, critiquing her every move. She's the top combatant but he says there's always room for improvement.

He's been exempt from combat since his first year in the academy, he's too strong for the instructor. Lucian just takes lessons with his clan as most VonUmbras have in the past. And because of this he thinks he's an expert.

"What could you possibly teach me today, Kova?" She sighed, putting her hands on her hips. 

"I'm not teaching you anything today, I'm going to test you on everything I have taught you." He grinned, letting his demon rise.

"Good I've been dying to get back at you for these awful lessons." She grinned, closing the mental door to their familiar connection. She dug her feet into the ground, clenching her fists, letting her power spark around her. The fire in her stomach setting ablaze.