Chapter 17: Borrowed happiness

"A dress, Y/N," Alyzza sighs frustratingly, watching as you tap on your phone, typing then deleting, "A fucking dress is what you need right now."

You bite at the inside of your cheek, trying to find the right words to send. "Ally," you start, not even looking back over at her, "Can you please just stop nagging for one damn minute? I'm trying to think."

Alyzza rolls at her eyes. "You've been trying to think since yesterday. I gave you more than a thousand minutes, come on. The party's tomorrow."

"Some things matter more than that stupid party," you murmur quietly, "Like fuck, why do we even need dates? This isn't prom."

She closes her eyes tight, exhaling a sharp breath, "Like what, Y/N, your boyfriend?"

"If that's what you want to call him, then yes," you finally look at her, striking a glare, "Taehyung has been out of touch lately."

She rolls her tongue across her lips, her hands resting on top of her hips, "And you think that's because of you?"

You shrug. "It might be," you sigh, "I mean I guess we're supposed to be each other's dates." You rub your face with your palms. "Ugh, I am literally as sensitive as a fucking jackhammer," you say from behind your palms, voice muffled.

Ally sighs, arms crossing in front of her chest and head tilting to the side as she eyes you. She steps forward, coming near you as you mindlessly let your fingers tap again. "Y/N," she calls. Even after not gaining a reply she continues, asking without hesitation, "Are you catching feelings for him?"

You stop for a moment, completely quiet, completely frozen, eyes wide. You don't even look at her. You keep your gaze trained on your phone, like it's going to give you your answers.

Your teeth dig into your bottom lips, as a memory came flashing back...

"I would— I would like to say I love you too, but you hurt me," you say drunkenly, as if making fun of everything that's coming out of your mouth, "Y-you were the boy who hurt me like hell."

It got you thinking about what you said.

If he never hurt you, would you have said that you love him back?

Y/N, do you love him?

Now you start asking yourself too.

Do I love him?

You know you've been taking too long to answer, as, from the corner of your eye, you see Alyzza starting to open her mouth to say something.

You cut her off, "No."

"You were thinking," she says, "You hesitated."

"So?" you hiss back, "Isn't it wiser to think about what you're going to say before you say it?"