Part 3

Gauri parked the car outside Naira’s house, It was a chawl basti..

Naira came out of the car and went to Gauri’s side

“you don’t want to come in?” she said

“I’ll wait here you go ahead..” said Gauri

“hmm I don’t blame you.. ok hopefully i won’t be too long” Gauri nodded to her.

“Naira walked down a little alley, there were kids playing around..

“Naira beti..”

“Hi Vijya masi” Vijya masi wasn’t her blood relation but in the chawl everyone knew each other, a few more people waved at her and she gave them all a smile, this was her hometown and she was born in this chawl. She finally climbed the stairs and got to her front door.  Her little brothers opened the door, letting her in.

“Didi” they both shouted with excitement, closing the door and then  pulling her to their level and both tried to hug her at the same time.”

Naira laughed “ok..ok calm down” she put her bag down and hugged both of them.

“we missed you”  said Mohan..

“yeah where did you go?” sulked Kirtan

“my darlings I went to find a job..”

“wow that’s great di” they said in unison

“did you find?” before she could answer Mohan’s question her papa came wheeling in Saurabh Singh, was working for a newspaper factory something went wrong in an accident.. of course he was compensated but could no longer work and life became hard in a wheelchair luckily by then Naira was old enough and had started to do jobs here and there to provide for her family but studying and working became too much for her and she could only concentrate on one thing, and her papa decided for her to just concentrate on her studies.. Her father was gifted on his writing  he learnt a thing or two whilst working in the newspaper factory, and even now he provides for the family by writing articles here and there for a magazine which they appreciate and he gets paid for, its not a lot but it keeps them going.

“beta when did you come” he stopped his wheelchair brake midway smiling at his daughter.

“papa” she got up from kneeling, and both boys held each hand, walking with her.

 “I just came now” she bent down and rested her head in his lap, both boys went to her bag, they saw a plastic wrapping.

“didi what’s in here?” Naira and her papa turned to them..

“take a look its for you both only” Mohan opened it..

“be careful Mohan don’t drop it maa will be angry..” Kirtan helped him open.

“wow its chocolate pastry” they both yelled in excitement.. Naira smiled seeing their happiness and she exchanged a smile with her dad.. he patted her head lovingly.

“Beta you didn’t need to do that”

“nai papa I wanted to.. I want to give them treats now and then, I know we can’t really afford but every child deserves a sweet dish at least once a month.

“god bless you beta, I heard you went for a job interview?”

“yah papa and I was successful”

“I knew you would be” he smiled

“Naira you’re my pride, like the elder son I never had but I’m happy I was bless with a daughter. Naira become emotional hearing him speak like that.. the boys ate the chocolate pastry with delight with mixture of jumping and making noise.