Part 16

Two weeks passed. Naira was back at work again and the incident was forgotten about, Ketan has even been discharged from hospital.

“Kartik that was Mr Ahluwalia’s  phone call came his 60th birthday party is tomorrow night and it’s the perfect opportunity for you to tell him about that deal?” Kartik took a sip of his coffee.

“yeah Preeti that will be ideal.. we will get Naira to babysit once again”

“who’s Naira?” Utmilla asked..

“Siya’s babysitter Urmilla you’ve not met her?.. ofcourse not your too busy with your sister to notice” Urmilla ignored him.

“Kartik Mr Ahluwalia wants the whole family there including Siya.. and I can’t do business and motherhood”  ‘yeah because your so motherly’ thought Kartik sarcastically.

“so I was thinking we take Naira with us not as a guest.. she is just a babysitter so she can manage Siya”

“ok ask her when she comes down.. I will be in my office.” He got up from the seat Naira came down the stairs with Siya and stood just outside the kitchen.

“wait Kartik.. you know his party will be a big thing and many high class people will be there.. she isn’t even on the radar of high class”

“you’ve got that right” laughed Urmilla. Naira came.  And they all turned.

“I’m just getting her formula”  they left her to it.

“Urmilla be quiet.. Preeti just get to the point will you what do you want to say?”

“well she doesn’t dress rich and I doubt she can even afford any designer” Naira came back it became awkward.

“ok I’ll just.. hey Naira we need you to work on weekend actually consider your lucky stars you will be coming with us to a high class party” Preeti remarked

“I bet you never been to one of those in your life” Urmilla sniggered.

“do I have to?”  she looked at Kartik.

“only if- Preeti cut him off

“yes we are not asking we are telling you!” yelled Preeti, Naira went quiet then went to say something.

“but i..

“that’s settled! but you will need to wear some classy clothes, not your chawl type salvars, hmm have the afternoon off and go buy a decent sari”

“yeah great idea.. said Urmilla.

“Kartik will take you, he doesn’t have any conferences today right?” she looked at him.

“yeah I’m free this afternoon after a long time if we leave now we will beat the traffic”

“um…”

“go on Naira, Kartik will know which sari to get” Naira was confused everything decided for her all of a sudden. “give her to me” she took Siya from her.

“look Kartik is already waiting for you in  the car hurry up go” she practically pushed her out of the door. Naira quickly rushed to the front door.

'Kartik is taking me shopping how will that be.. I’m feeling nervous'

Kartik pressed the horn which brought her back to now. She walked over to the car and sat down.

“seat belt on?” she nodded.. “and off we go” he drove off. She wanted to make conversation with him but all the way there he was on calls from his hands free. They came to the big store, he parked up as he spoke on the phone.