Part 8

“you are already in charge of Siya’s savings they would set you for life, you already have 20% stake in Goenka  enterprises! Preeti ignored him because she knew just how much it irritated him.

“I want 70% think about it.. have a good day” she left his office mockingly.

“damn it” Kartik banged his hands on the table in frustration.. his conversation with Preeti usually went like this, but everytime ended with the same conclusion, they were in this rut their relationship was just a sham but to society it was real.’ She wants 70% she’s out of her bloody mind’ Kartik sat down in his chair with his hands on his head, just trying to calm himself down, he just gathered his thoughts.. and then sat back straightening his blazer.  He got up from his seat and took the tray, he took a sip of his tea but it was luke warm.. He opened the door and saw Naira there.

“Tea has gone cold, I will just be a sec wait there” he passed her and went into the hall.  Naira stood waiting for him from a distance she could see him talking to Ramu, and Kartik smiled about something then patted Ramu on the shoulder and he went into the kitchen.  Naira stood at the same spot, she watched him walk back to her.

“hmm come sit” he waved her to go in the room, she went and then he followed.

“Siya is asleep still.. that’s why I’m.

“Hey Naira I’m not Preeti you don’t have to justify yourself to me”

“hmm” she replied once again he encourage her to take a seat. She sat down putting the baby monitor on his desk, there was silence in the room.

“Naira yesterday the way I spoke to you I didn’t mean it sorry i..

“no sir don’t apologise you’re my boss you can speak to me any way.. Kartik smirked  and thought what a difference there is between girls like Naira and then woman like Preeti.. Naira seems so pure hearted and Preeti… he sighed.

“yah I am your boss but still you are a person besides just Siya’s babysitting you are your own person.

Naira was surprise with his words, she painted people who are rich as narrow minded and judgemental but Kartik sir just seems different.

“so Naira tell me how was… Naira got distracted she never looked at anything apart from Siya her eyes scanned his office then she got up.. with a smile she went to his book self on the left side.

“wow all these books are yours?”  Kartik smiled and got up too.. he walked over to her.

“yup I’m a big book lover”

“me too..”  said Naira.

“but I don’t have a nearly as much this I mean I have read a lot but..

“if you want you can borrow them from me anytime”  they shared a smile, she went a bit quiet, she didn’t know why.

“so what’s your favourite author?”  she already had her favourite.

“David Johnson ” they said in unison”

“wow yours too?” she said to Kartik

“yah he is a damn awesome writer I usually read his books when I’m on the plane or at some free time, I love to read..."

Naira was amazed that a business man like  Kartik sir and her both have a love for books, she was always reading but her circle of friends never really took to books except Gauri she liked to read but she wasn’t a book worm like her. Me and Kartik like the same author, that’s too good.

“have you read The war of hearts?”

“that is his latest book?” she asked

“yeah” he replied