Part 5

“wow don’t know where the time went..Preeti went into the main room, Naira was sitting on the sofa with the baby monitor in her hand..

“ok Naira you can go home now, see you tomorrow early” 

Kartik was about to take the stairs..

‘damn it I completely forgot Naira was babysitting'

Naira placed the baby monitor back on the sofa and got up sleepily

“ok.. bye..” she walked to the door just about managed to put her sandals on.. her eyes were barely opening.. Kartik observed her from a far, Preeti came and stood next to him wondering why he wasn’t taking the stairs.

“look at her   how will she drive in that state”. Preeti turned for a second to her, and saw her open the front door.  

“your right. well you do something I’m going bed goodnight.. she passed him and went up the stairs, Kartik didn’t know what to do, he didn’t want her to go alone at this time and she is so sleepy that is visible.. what if she falls asleep on the wheel, he could prepare the guess room for her and she could stay the night, but he was hesitant, how can he just ask her to stay he had no idea on family, whether she is married or engaged to someone, or has a boyfriend,  and would she even feel comfortable here, she barely knew him and vise versa, he trashed that idea in his mind. Hmm what to do I just leave her to go home like that... He thought..  

‘yeah you just keep thinking Kartik. While she leaves.. Kartik snapped out of his thoughts

“Naira wait.. Kartik called, he could see her leaving out of the door.. He raced off the staircase steps and got outside and startled her by standing in front of her blocking her way.

“I’ll drop you home” he said

“what?”  she was a little alert now.

“yeah come..” 

“no sir, its fine I can manage”  she walked further towards her car.

“you can barely keep your eyes open.. I will drive you, please I insist” He took the keys from her hands.

“ok?” she really couldn’t keep her eyes open, she had been up since 5am, and she didn’t have the strength to argue, she sat in the passenger seat mechanically.. and Kartik sat in the driver’s seat, he put on his seat belt.

“put your seat belt on”, she followed his orders and did so sleepily. He began to drive..

“so tell me where shall I drop you?”

“hmmm?” she replied..

“Naira.. first tell me where then you can fall asleep”

“ok yeah drop me to the chawl”

“chawl?”

“hmm I live there with my papa”  she drifted back to sleep..

she lives in a chawl, I never go to chawl’s there so clustered and tight spaced... but what to do she lives there so no choice today’

“ok and your mum?”

“mum.. mum I don’t .. she..  she words trailed off..

“ok she’s out.. i better get to this chawl quickly” he said

A  few minutes or so later..a loud horn honked.. and made Naira's sleep break.. she just recalled his words. I said drop me to the chawl have I lost my mind.. I  can’t be dropped by him in the chawl at this time of night.. it will be news tomorrow, how would it look, if everyone sees me come out of a car, dropped off by a man, what will people think and say. This thought made her senses alert..