Part 37

Just then Kush came “Kartik you made it and you bought your”    

“wife” said the little group.

“yes I did see Kushan its’ Preeti” he said with uneasy laughter.

“hmm namste bhahiji” said Kush knowing full well it was not Preeti but him and Kartik were great friends and if his friend is lying then he must have a valid reason.

“ok guys come your table is near ours”

“Yeah Sam we will be there in just a minute” he said turning to Naira.

“come on yaar she isn’t going anywhere, but Pulkit and Samaira are entering now.. all were rushed to their tables as the married couple were about to make their entry. It was a dim atmosphere, purple theme it looked beautiful.  Naira and Kartik were seated next to each other on the table and opposite them were three of his friends including Kush.

There were starters already on the table, plates full of cocktail samosa’s, chilli panner, etc.  He took 2 plates and handed one to her.

“Mmm take what ever you want” he said making her feel comfortable. She took one samosa and slowly munched on it.  He took a strong  bite out of  his spring roll an announcement was going on the mic, he shifted in his seat, bringing the side of his head to hers.

“Thank you for not saying anything and playing along with this” he said discreetly through his teeth so only she can hear him, she didn’t know what to say, when she had a thought the crowd errupted in claps and cheers as the newly weds walked in..

“whoo!” Kartik yelled followed by a whistle. Naira smiled seeing him all cheerful, at the same time admiring him taking a sip of his water she was lost in thoughts. Then she felt his hand in hers as he was on his feet, he pulled her up by the hand with him.

“Look” he pointed to show her his friend was  ready to cut the cake.

“I should take a snap of this…” he took his phone out and began to click a few photos,then he slipped it back in his pocket. She clapped along with him and everyone else they all sat down again, except Kush he left the table. Kartik knew something was up but he decided to ignore it..

“The dinner should arrive shortly, but first let’s welcome the couple on the dance floor.” Said the DJ,  The room went silent as the couple had their first dance.

“Samrat, Krish, Shyam and Pul all married guys it feels like just yesterday we were all at uni. “Shyam didn’t come?” he turned to Naira

“he is a good guy he lives in the US he also went Harvard with us” she nodded. “Yes fill in your wifey, by the way how did you guys meet?”

“Sir its”

“Sir?, dude your wife calls you sir?” Seema was lost as was the rest of the group.

“That is an excellent question, how did you guys meet Kartik”

Kartik turned to Kush who just sat down, all eyes were on him. “Y- you know.. he scratched the side of his head feeling nervous”  For the first time he was lost for words.  He didn’t look at Naira he was feeling a little guilty for making up this lie and including her in it. He should come clean it will be embarrassing but atleast it will be the truth.

“Listen guys I want to say something” Naira hand extended to his and held it to stop him.

“It started with Sir I was working for him” she said looking at him.                  

“See (tut) we should ask bhabhiji she will give full on story on what happened, go on bhabhiji we are listening. Said a eager Arav. She looked at Kartik. Just then the dj announced the bar is open.