3

The room was extensive, reeking of typical intensive care wards. The tension held thick in the air, beeping of ventilators the only sound. Every 2 minutes a doctor would walk on the aisle between the two lines of beddings. It took me a few blinks to recover from the initial amazement.

A siren cut off the peaceful atmosphere. "Code Blue! I repeat Code blue! EMERGENCY" A team of doctors hurried outside, attending the new entries. The new heavily layered protective suit took time to adjust to. 'Dr Hywa' the HOD called out from between the commotion 'Best of luck'

The patients came in batches of 6, each case worse than the one before. The neatly arranged ICU was now crammed up with beds. 'Bed 6, nurse please inject her with sedations. I will be there in a jiff.'

Patients after patients rolled in. A room which could normally hold 6 patients, now supported 10. I rushed from bed to bed, treating them in accordance to the severity of their disease.

A nurse stood beside each bed, monitoring the essentials after proper intervals.

Information:

Bed: 3

Name: Eva Rosburk

Gender: Female

Age: 20

Nationality: Italian

Family: Not specified

I looked at the lifeless and frail body in front of me. Hair painted deep blonde; nail manicured with soft pink hue. Her face that might have showed happiness was pale and blue. Wires kept her connected to this world, pipes helping her carry out day to day functions. She was just an ordinary lady, on her usual tour. Her history read an arrival to our land 5 days prior to her admission in the ICU. It was only fair to say, she carried the virus with her. Now she was stuck in an unknown land, only for her family to be worried about her.

'Doctor' Nurse Emily, shook me out of the trance, I hummed in response. 'Sir is calling you outside the ward' I furrowed my eyebrow, but contemplating against questioning her. 'Are all the patients here stable?' she nodded her head slightly, the only permission for me to walk out of the unit.

The mask was reeking of used air now, But either way, better safe than sorry. Deciding not to go far I stood at the edge of the red marking. Looking around for sign of any "sir". I walked back in, gesturing Emily to be more specific with her message next time.

I wonder how many more patients were out there, in a foreign land, with an obscure personality. I wonder how many families spent their days and nights in utter distress, waiting for their loved ones to return.