4

It has been 4 days, and my body screamed in exhaustion. There were over 100 new critical patients in my ward, over hundred died in my own hand. This was worse than it seemed to be, it was getting out of our limits. 'Doctor Hywa!' A nurse came running to the sink I was stationed at 'Doctor Bed 9! Room 3'

We rushed to the now coughing patient. I replaced his oxygen mask over his mouth and nose. His hand snatched it away as with all difficulty he rolled to his side, and vomited blood.

'Nurse, please look after him. I will go on a round' he passed out right after throwing up.

The ward was expanded by adding a few more rooms and a many more beds.

I stepped outside the room, careful to not pass the red line. Walking to the changing room not far from this room. Removing this suit was a job in itself, Amy, our professional instructor helped me put this off and get into a new one. It would be a lie, if I say I didn't miss the fresh air.

I visited all the beds, reading their history and progress in coping up. After doing so, I removed my PPE for the sterilisation station and walked to the washroom.

The fresh cold water, was heavenly even amidst of the newly born hell. There were dark circles underneath my eyes, eyes which glowed a deep red colour due to lack of sleep. I redid my hair into a pony, taking deep breaths, once again I walked to the, Amy, to get into my now sterilised suit.

'Nurse, how is Eva doing?' Aston, handed me a file that belonged to Eva. Something was added to it, her contacts 'Call Emily.' Aston rushed to look for Emily, as I went for Eva.

She laid there once again. Beauty and elegance still decorated on her now sick being. 'Yes, Doctor?' Emily 's voice was muffled behind the mask. 'I want you to take this information to the receptionist, and I want you to call her family, with the first ray of sunlight tomorrow' she nodded her head.

I sat in the chair, throwing my head on my arms. By this time my head was throbbing, my mind wandering off to places I didn't know existed.

'Doctor!' someone shook me out of a deep darkness, my eyes stung, 'Yes, Astron?' 'Bed 3, room 1' I got up almost immediately, grabbing the file from him 'Name, Eva Rosburk' I sped up, without giving a second thought. I saw her withering in pain, her lungs trying to fill up with oxygen, eyes rolling to the back of her head, blood making its way out of her throat. The nurses ran around carrying out what they had to do. There were three doctors working on Eva now. Her heart pulsating fast, monitor beeping uncontrollably. But soon, it was as if the calm before the storm, everything stopped. She stopped moving, her chest falling for its last, the monitor showing a straight line with a prolonged beep. An indication that she was no more with us.

Emily looked at me with eyes full of sadness, the call that was suppose to be of a relief will now be of grief for her family.

This was it, another innocent life gone. Guilt settled in me, even though I did what I could. My hand shook as I filled in her form.

Death time: 3 am