16

My body was in constant fatigue, more than it had been since I got here. I was inserting a cannula into her vein, my hand unable to stay put. Contractions causing shivers run up my hands. My head had a sudden throbbing, eyes rolling to my head. I heard a distance scream, the cannula dropped from my hand and I submitted myself to the utter darkness.

Brandon came running to me waking me up from my nap. He was gasping for air. Everything between that time and rolling you into isolation ward was a mere mixture of blur and tears. Your body that was unitedly supporting 60 patients was now lifelessly attached to machines. I had no other option but to get dressed in my PPE. You gave me life, it was my time to pay it off.

We pushed your bed to the CT ward. The portable ventilator supported your lungs, IV fluid was inserted in you. Dr. Jace raced you onto the bed.

They said your brain died, baby, they said you were dead before I could bid you farewell. Your brain lacked oxygen for over 11 minutes, due to the collapse in your lungs. I almost felt numb, like a deep void pressing into my heart. I couldn't lose you this easy, you were a fighter. We rolled you back into your room, it smelt of strong medicines and antiseptic. We kept you close to your patients, maybe you would get up and smile at them once again. I had a sudden jolt of hope in me again, maybe I could revive you, maybe you would still want to have a happy ever after.

I still had hope as I sat on the bench. The sakoora leaves showering upon me, as I looked up at the sky. Mrs Park, you shouldn't have left without letting me kiss you once again, before letting me meet my daughter.