13

Everyone's heads were down. Maybe it was them showing respect or maybe there were too afraid to look at what was coming. There weren't many, just me, Kaira, Brandon and some other nurses. Kaira was close, almost hugging Brandon. Which made me think if they have finally gotten together. A shift in steps were heard. The coffin was pulled from the hearse by six strong men, all wearing suits. The silence dwelled as they walked through the mud. It wobbled as they carried it to the front and gently placed it down. The taller one removed the cover of the casket. The moment froze, a tear slipped down my cheek.

There she was, in her elegant and beautiful wedding gown. The gown we decided when she was still cozy against my arms. The frills resting calmly against her body. Her face still flawless, but drained of color, warmth and emotions. My heart broke at the sight of my bride, my wife, my love. A true super hero to me and many others was now dead in her casket. The life was mercilessly choked out of her,

There was a silence to my soul; I felt like fall leaves under frost. I felt every chill in my blood, coldness bringing the synapses of my brain to a stand still. Part of it was a pain, yet one I could endure, one I could sleep through night after night trying to escape the cruel reality of life. It's like a void. A dark void. A never-ending dark void that consumes everything, so I was left with feeling nothing. Emptiness, a sudden jolt within my entire body, as the man cleared his throat. The four of covered the casket again, picking it up burying it under the rich earth. And there I stood, feeling everything and nothing at all.

I walked away as they refilled the hole in the earth. Leaving the love of my life, my soul mate, my everything, my princess behind, alone. I was leaving my baby, out in the cold without my arms to protect her. I was leaving my lifeline, open to dangers, open to the thunder storms and rain.

My heart sank at the thought. At the thought of never being able to hold her in my arms, the thought of not listening to her voice, of not seeing her smile again.