7

'Good morning, Doctor' Astron greeted me, I replied with a nod. The weekend was over, boring and full of romance between me and my oh so lovely bed. I sanitized my hands, and walked towards the nurse who helped me wear the PPE. 'Thank You, Amy' Entering room 1, the nurses reported me of the health and condition of all the patients one after the other. 23 new admits, 5 passed away. 'Hm...' I nodded my head collecting all the files, trying to thoroughly go through each one. 'Where is Nurse Emily?' I asked the paramedic. 'She got her results as positive, so she in the quarantine ward' My mind trying to grasp around the information 'Oh' is all I could say, before going back to the patient files. 'Did you contact all of these patients' relatives?' 'Yes, we did' I nodded again. Hours passed as I studied the files of the new patients.'Sister I'd be going out for lunch, please give me a call if something goes wrong' she nodded at me while zipping up my newly sterilized PPE. The corridors were bright and white, reeking of antiseptics. The air was filled with occasional beeping of the monitors. In the distant you could feel the sufferings of the quarantine ward. I made my way to the ward, environment filled with distress, curiosity and depression. Blood curdled screams of infants were heard from nearby, my heart shivering at the voices. But that didn't stop me from walking, through. The double doors an entrance to pediatrics. Walking through those doors, was walking into a new world all together. The walls of the corridors were decorated with unique pieces of arts, paintings and drawings prepared by kids. At the far end the hallway branched. To the left the passage was adorned with displays of wondrous toys, it further on lead to the general Pedia. Where as a huge graffiti ornamented the walls to the left, amateur cards from the young fighters of our nation were hung with dignity and pride. The pass way further on lead to PICU, my destination. I walked past those doors. Unlike our unit, this was to a limit lively. Balloons hung from the ceiling, nurses were scattered across the room, buzzing to treat the young ones. It was overall quiet, with only a few beeping monitors, shuffling feet and occasional weeping of the children. What amused me was, that the walls were yet again painted with various cartoon characters. Without crossing the red line, I walked tot he common room, which to my amazement was empty. I waited at the door for a few minutes, when a very similar voice interrupted my thoughts. I looked around finding the source. There he was, in his PPE, delicately handling the newly born baby. His hands carefully checking the young ones essentials, injecting him. The nurse then smiled as she dressing the little one in blue protection. Jimin showed her a thumbs up. He turned around, almost immediately locking eyes with me. His eyes turning into tiny crescents. I waved my hand at him, but he walked to the other side, which I soon realized to be the changing room. 5 minutes went by, and I saw him coming from the front doors. What just happened? He was dressed in his usual pastel blue kit, stethoscope around his neck as a white coat hung over his shoulders. He looked like a guy version if me honestly. His blonde hair rested over his forehead, as he passed me a wink. I rolled my eyes 'How did you teleport from there to here?' I raised my eyebrows, he chuckled 'Secrets my love, secrets' he held may hand, 'Do you know how much I hate when I can't feel your warm skin' I groaned, he scoffed 'Nope. Safe than sorry' he said, adjusting his gloves 'I can't let anything happen to my warrior' he pinched my cheeks. 'HUHHHH' he turned around to say something 'Doctor, Bed 4 Andriana' Jimin gave me an apologizing look, before hurrying to the baby. My mind went into an automatic panic mode. 1) because the baby was dying, 2) because Jimin wasn't wearing his PPE. I watched the scene unroll in front of me. Him giving the kid CPR, injections anything to bring the heartbeat back. His own chest heaving, his eyes desperate for the reading on the monitor. The little one was so beautiful, with a clear skin, chubby and lively. Her eyes so big and doe like. Anyone could fall in love at sight. This young one right here would have grown up to be an obedient and beautiful daughter, a lively young teen, a caring loving wife, my heart shrunk, sank, whimpered. I closed my eyes turning around, walking outside the doors. Its heart breaking how the world had took the turn for the worst. People abandoned their families, their kids, their parents force the sake of safety and life. Doctors who were here to serve the nation, my heart swelled with respect. There is no say in how many of them will see the light again, even if they live through or dye trying, they are the new heroes of our lives.