In Memoriam // Part Two

The 3AM phone call wasn't a surprise to me, or Jughead, for that matter

The 3AM phone call wasn't a surprise to me, or Jughead, for that matter. We were barely sleeping anyways, too awake with thoughts of the events of the day. Veronica didn't say much, just to come as soon as possible and probably grab some coffee. Mocha was sound asleep on my lap, barely awake to go to the bathroom before we piled back into my car to go to Archie's house. Betty and Veronica were both by his side when I parked, Reggie pulling up just across the street.

He tossed a set of keys over to Archie. "She's all yours, bro."

"How do you even have a hearse, Reggie?" Veronica asked the question everyone was wondering.

He shrugged. "It's been sitting on the lot for two years. No one wants to buy it."

"Well, I owe you, Reg," Archie sighed as he twisted the keys between his fingers. "Thank you. And, you guys, I'm sorry for calling so late."

I shook my head, curling further under my hoodie as I held Mocha between my arms. "It's no problem, Archie. Don't worry about it."

"I just.. I don't want my dad stuck in some weird town, and I can't wait until July 5th to bring him back. He'd want to be home. I know that."

The drive to Cherry Creek was eerie, to say the least. I had never ridden in a hearse, not that I planned to, but between Jughead and Betty, the three of us almost drifted to sleep multiple times as Archie drove through the night. I don't know how he managed to stay awake off pure adrenaline, but he did and by morning, we had arrived at our destination.

Archie and Veronica went inside to deal with the police while Jughead, Betty, and I busied ourselves with walking around to stretch out our legs. Mocha was having a field day, bouncing around with newfound energy as he tried to find a suitable spot to go to the bathroom.

"Guys, they're ready for us!" Veronica's voice interrupted our random conversation as we piled back into the hearse to head over to the funeral home. Mocha remained in my arms when we arrived, the five of us walking into the older building that was oddly quiet and smelled of sage, honestly.

"Hi, I'm Veronica Lodge. We just spoke," My sister introduced as we walked into an office space. "This is Archie Andrews, he's..."

"I'm Fred Andrews' son," Archie finished as he shook the man's hand.

The man in front of us nodded. "Yes, of course. My condolences. How can I help you, Mr. Andrews?"

Archie tucked his hands into his pockets as he spoke, "I want to bring my dad home."

The man didn't seem enthusiastic about the idea. "It was my understanding the deceased would be transported to Riverdale on the 5th."

"I know. That's.. It's not right. I.. I want him home. And I want to be the one who brings him home. Today."

"I understand," The director said, "But I'm afraid that's not possible. You're an underage adolescent. It's not within my jurisdiction to release the deceased to you without formal permissions."